FJ62 Rough Idle and Stalling issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, new to the forum but I've been having some issues with my fj62 that I was hoping I could get some help on. I have a 1988 fj62, I took the car in to have the fuel pump replaced and when I got it back it had issues with the idle and stalling. The car's idle can be consistent at one time and at other times bouncing around between 500-1000rpms. In addition to that, sometimes when I back up my car completely stalls out and shuts off. My engine also stalls consistently while driving. I almost forgot this last part but the car also shifts late. All problems I hadn't experienced since I replaced the fuel pump. Any thoughts on what this might be and how I might go about fixing it? I'd upload videos if I had and if it happens I'll get it on video. Thank you guys!

If it was fine before the pump change then definitely start there. Ill bring it back to the place that changed it out. Could be as simple as one of the vacuum lines or even the filter. Was then inside of the tank rusty that you know of?

If it was fine before the pump change then definitely start there. Ill bring it back to the place that changed it out. Could be as simple as one of the vacuum lines or even the filter. Was then inside of the tank rusty that you know of?
Well, I had taken it back to the same mechanic that changed it out however, he couldn't find the issue either. He said that maybe it had something to do with the computer in the car and that he didn't have the right equipment to run computer diagnostics. The fuel filter was replaced to my knowledge but I'll have to take a look at the vacuum lines. I don't believe there's any rust in the tank.

i had exactly the same issue (minus the fuel pump issue); any sort of strain on the motor and it just shut off. a tuneup fixed that; but the more i think about it, and factor what happened in the months afterward - i also had a faulty cold start fuel injector (the engine didn't rough idle or stall but it certainly didn't run correctly), a transmission that needed a rebuild (clutch and gear issues which MIGHT cause stalling) AND my cats were hollowing out & clogging the muffler; that last snafu in particular caused stalling, rough idling, and loss of acceleration. but i didn't have a fuel pump issue as a valid starting point.

Update guys, I was driving to work on Friday. The car was driving great and had a full tank of gas. All of a sudden while I'm driving the car just starts dropping mph's out of nowhere. I've now got the car at my house, won't start at all. Dash lights, headlights, radio they all come on and the car just doesn't start. Please help!

Update guys, I was driving to work on Friday. The car was driving great and had a full tank of gas. All of a sudden while I'm driving the car just starts dropping mph's out of nowhere. I've now got the car at my house, won't start at all. Dash lights, headlights, radio they all come on and the car just doesn't start. Please help!

1. does the starter spin the engine when you turn the key?

Try a jump start. So, it was running great, no more problems with idle and stalling until it died?

I'm curious why you replaced fuel pump. That requires dropping the fuel tank, but no vacuum lines are involved. Tank vent lines, yes.

Try a jump start. So, it was running great, no more problems with idle and stalling until it died?

I'm curious why you replaced fuel pump. That requires dropping the fuel tank, but no vacuum lines are involved. Tank vent lines, yes.
Well I had replaced the fuel pump because it had failed when I parked my car in my driveway. Before it had died the car had been running rough.

Start with a jump start and see if it:

1. cranks
2. Starts
3. If it runs measure the battery voltage with a multimeter.
4. if still no crank then it’s likely an electrical problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom