FJ62 Restoration Project Intro (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1989 FJ62 Restoration Project Intro, This is our first Toyota, and learning quickly why the FJs have such the following that they do.
This site has been an invaluable resource, so I wanted to post this intro
We purchased May 2022 from NJ and now lives North of Boston,has 200K miles. 98% stock w/ alot of the original parts and pc's , appears to never been in major accident. but needs some TLC.
We plan to keep as stock as practical, plan to do ALL the work ouselves. (this is our first substanial Father / Son restoration project)
I have been doing metal/fab welding and electrical work for 30 years, so I hope to pass along these skills to my son and provide restoration/fabrication details that will ideally add to this site
(pics, dimensional sketches, BOMs etc. )
The PO replaced all the vacuum lines, new SS battery tray, radio. and hacked a hole in bed to replace the fuel pump

Completed Projects;
Sheet Metal Body Patch Panels, both lower fenders, both rocker panels, both lower quarters, couple small patches on inner wheel wells, doors and tail gate
we are doing the body filler now and we plan to paint it ourselves (8B2)
Fab aluminum tailgate license plate/light bar
Fab Fuse Panel cover
Repair Center Console
Fab aluminum fuel pump cover plate, like the fuel sender cover plate (doing the plate vs welding back to oem will make future pump replacement much easier)
New tail light lens covers

In-Process Projects; (you know how this goes, start one project and leads to many more)
Replace the rear frame inner channel supports
-clean and POR the all frame (the only frame rust was at the replaceable inner channels, If the frame was rotted we would have walked away from this one)
Fab/Repair 1 rusted rear body support at tailgate, replace worn bushing(s), replace body bolts (only as needed, not doing all of them)
Fab Channel Iron Bumpers- both front and rear, w/ trailer hitch receiver, match OEM look as much as possible
Fab Stainless Steel fuel tank, we think little beyond repair. (can not really find anything to purchase, very $$$ and "no stock"), all new hoses/clamps
Fix hack wiring around rear taillight wiring junction and radio (I really hate those snap lock tap connectors)
Fab rear shock tower cross member
Desmog, EGR delete, Cat Deletes - made the "test pipes" from SS plate and SS tubing
Replace power steering pump
Replace tail gate locking mech
clean and dye the carpets/interior fabric -oem medium grey

Near Future Projects;
complete tuneup/fluid/filter change, locate/fix any fluid leaks or worn driveline items
invistigate rear floor heater pipes, not leaking but seem border line rusted
investigate rear defrost and rear wiper (not high priority like the lock, but while were there)
replace both rear drum brake backing plates (having some issue locating these)
Repair/replace driver side side seat cover, maybe swap seats with passenger side?
New Kicks on stock rims, prob 31s, looks properly sized to us, dont want to do lift kit or put add strain on driveline.
Window film tint the rear glass. prevent sunlight damage/heat and hopefully deter any theift "outta sight-outta mind"
Replace catback exhaust w/ SS tubing. (low priority, the existing is OK for now, and we have the SS tubing at our work)

thanks to all that have made this such a great forum, I hope we can provide information/post as well as you have

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom