FJ62 Replacement LED Headlights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On this topic, I’m like a few of you who like the benefits of LED but wasn’t sure it ‘fit’ on my 88’ truck. Having said that, the old sealed beams were flat out dangerous on the old wiring harness. Prior to finding the wiring harness I searched for aux. LED lights that were also street legal (SAE approved). In a prior job I had some experience with LED Manufacturing and how they are made vs. how they are marketed and it’s pretty scary. As an example many cheap LED providers will tout that they use CREE LEDs (widely recognized as the best) but what they don’t talk about is the board they use, the materials/connections/fittings, the design and that all CREE LEDs even the same color temp & part number are not the same. Not sure if that remains true but in the past manufacturers had a choice to buy better “batches” that had more consistent color temp, output, etc. or buy cheaper batches that were less than ideal after the same testing. I know there are plenty of people who will “test” and put up videos but it’s nearly impossible to test longevity, customer support and what I find most important and often times ignored is eye fatigue/ comfort when using the lights. We’ve all seen the guy with blue lights driving down the road, the blackout tint on the side windows and the raising or lowering of an auto to fit their “style” but we all can guess at how that makes the experience of driving said vehicle. With LEDs the obvious benefit is efficiency and to a lesser extent output for our purposes. One of the drawbacks with LEDs is color temperature with regard to eye fatigue, again for our purposes. It’s hard to get lower Kelvin LEDs and it’s also hard to get accurate Kelvin readings from manufacturers. On the question of style, I don’t like a really blue light coming from my truck, it looks out of place to me but that is purely my preference and absolutely no judgment on others who enjoy this look. I will say I have it on my DD which is newer and it ‘makes sense’ on that truck. In terms of comfort I went with the H4 upgrade with hella +50 55w bulbs. It is whiter than the original, WAY brighter and most importantly, my eyes feel better looking at the lower Kelvin light produced by them over time. With the new harness you can safely run higher wattage bulbs (up to 100w I believe) and there are many bulb choices for color & output. In the rare case that I need the aux light, I went with an SAE approved Baja Designs LED wide driving/fog light. Baja Designs is one of the few LED makers (that I found) that actually talks about eye fatigue when using LEDs so they only use 5K LEDs to avoid the problems associated with bluer LEDs. As an aside, they also talk about using copper which is an obvious way for manufacturers to reduce cost by using aluminum for their board/connections. Anyway, that is a lot so sorry for that but below is a link to a video with lows, then highs, then the fogs going on. You can see the obvious color difference but what is hard to see is the output is very similar. I also put a link to a picture of the fog light. I’m still not in love with LEDs as fog lights on this older truck but these were the best I could find, that do a reasonable job of ‘fitting in’ on my older truck. Again hope all this BS helps add to the convo...
H4 conversion and LED Fogs
SAE approved fog light on FJ62

Will this harness be ok to use with jw speaker headlights?
Sorry I’m not sure. I will say the guy I spoke with at RallyLights was very knowledgeable and they make each harness upon ordering them so I’d guess you could call them and get a definitive answer. Very easy to work with them and you can tell they service a far more serious off-roading crowd than I will ever pretend to be. The harness was over built and arrived quickly too...

I just put these in and will report on the longevity of them. Immediate impressions are positive. I do have the upgraded factory headlight harness. Hooked the outer ring to my marker lights and no issues there. Price was reasonable and not a terrible looking LED headlight. I always hated how the LED headlights looked aside the truck lite.

Amazon product ASIN B07YD5CVQ6

20200615_120155.jpg 20200615_120128.jpg 20200615_120117.jpg 20200615_120059.jpg

Sorry I’m not sure. I will say the guy I spoke with at RallyLights was very knowledgeable and they make each harness upon ordering them so I’d guess you could call them and get a definitive answer. Very easy to work with them and you can tell they service a far more serious off-roading crowd than I will ever pretend to be. The harness was over built and arrived quickly too...

I sent an email to Wil and will be talking to him on the phone tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up! He says a harness can be made pretty easily for a 62 with the JW Speaker headlights. This way I'll be able to run the lows and hi's together. Weee!

I sent an email to Wil and will be talking to him on the phone tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up! He says a harness can be made pretty easily for a 62 with the JW Speaker headlights. This way I'll be able to run the lows and hi's together. Weee!
That‘s good news!

Those look sharp.. any issues with wiring? Or are they pretty much plug-n-play?
How have they held up... 3-years later? Still happy? Thanks..
-J

Happy to inform that I've been using this ..

Amazon product ASIN B01BH8HLJQ
for a few weeks now and I'm very please with the outcome so far ..

20171018162603-daf24194-me.jpg

color and light cut it's right were I expect it ..

Hello everyone, this post continues because I haven't found any more recent ones. I would like to replace the headlights on my FJ62, I thought about the LEDs but then I thought that good bulbs would do their job well, considering that they cost much less and if you burn them you can easily change them. However, I have read that many talk about a modification to the original system but I find nothing about it. Is there anyone who could tell me what modification I need to make to convert the bulbs to H1 and H4? Thanks

Hello everyone, this post continues because I haven't found any more recent ones. I would like to replace the headlights on my FJ62, I thought about the LEDs but then I thought that good bulbs would do their job well, considering that they cost much less and if you burn them you can easily change them. However, I have read that many talk about a modification to the original system but I find nothing about it. Is there anyone who could tell me what modification I need to make to convert the bulbs to H1 and H4? Thanks

You’ll need new H1 and H4 housings since the truck came with sealed beams (you can’t just upgrade the bulb). Best/readily available option is Hella. Once that’s done you can use any bulb. Don’t bother with the LED plug in bulbs, the halogen is plenty bright.

I prefer the ECE (euro spec) to the DOT spec housings. Better light pattern but of course not DOT ‘approved’.

Upgrading the wiring harness is highly recommended to take advantage of the new halogen setup. ARB/IPF is available from cruiser outfitters.

Upgrading the wiring harness is highly recommended to take advantage of the new halogen setup. ARB/IPF is available from cruiser outfitters.
this is a problem for me, here in Hungary there are no I think and I don't know how to explain what I need.
I'll go to an auto electrician

This harness worked to upgrade the old sealed beams to H4 and allow me to use low and high beams together. It made a huge difference and it was very easy to install.
HL28202FJ62 is the part #
Do you have links to the bulbs you purchased along with the harness for your current setup?

Does anyone have the wiring diagram of how to connect the relays and cables?
Thank you

update,
I replaced the headlights with Hella H1 and H4.
They certainly shed more light than the originals.
However, I discovered that the originals are not sealed but they are also H4 and H1 and you can replace the bulbs.
The problem is that the interior chrome is now ugly, so it reflects little.
I am satisfied with the replacement but then I will also change the cables

20220730_152439.jpg

20220730_160158.jpg

20220730_194737.jpg

20220730_211547.jpg

update,
I replaced the headlights with Hella H1 and H4.
They certainly shed more light than the originals.
However, I discovered that the originals are not sealed but they are also H4 and H1 and you can replace the bulbs.
The problem is that the interior chrome is now ugly, so it reflects little.
I am satisfied with the replacement but then I will also change the cables

View attachment 3073280

View attachment 3073281

View attachment 3073282

View attachment 3073283
Curious about how you painted your grill? What color is it

It is the original color
I'm sorry
Ah, I see you’re in Hungary. I think some of the non-US market grilles had less chrome. Also, would explain why you didn’t have sealed beams..they were a boneheaded US thing

i offer a full 100% Koito Glass JIS LED KIT for FJ60 , FJ62 is in the works right now ,

please enjoy this tech video made by a fellow member , its well produced and the HBI blue bulb LED has been addressed

kindly matt

Last edited:
Holley makes a LED headlight also, its called the retro-brite. They make it in all different sizes. Buying a set for my dads g1 camaro for christmas. They look like sealed beam headlights

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom