Fj62 Rebuild Transmission? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, i have a 62 with auto tranny that only works in 1st gear right now. I know it needs to be rebuilt, but I was wondering if any one has had there's rebuilt and how much they paid for it. I live in Phx, Az and there really isn't any Crusier mech. that i know of yet. so any help on how much you paid would help so I don't get robbed. Thx

I have the Toyota Repair manual for the A440F & A440L auto Transmission I'll send you if you want it.

Hey vexx,

For a point of reference, I just had my 62 towed to Toyowest in Peoria on Tuesday, with a suspected transmission problem. They quoted me $2500 to install a used, non-rebuilt one.

Of course, I found that it wasn't a transmission problem at all... but that's ANOTHER story.

I also researched getting a new one from Australia, as I heard that they were only slightly more expensive (even with shipping) and will last a whole heckuva a lot longer. Rodney at Wholesale Automatics was very helpful, and very cool! He even called me to discuss the symptoms I was having:

http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/extreme.asp

Also, I think this was discussed earlier:

Tranny Rebuild Cost FJ62
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=102767

Last edited:
Ok, i have a 62 with auto tranny that only works in 1st gear right now. I know it needs to be rebuilt, but I was wondering if any one has had there's rebuilt and how much they paid for it. I live in Phx, Az and there really isn't any Crusier mech. that i know of yet. so any help on how much you paid would help so I don't get robbed. Thx

as stated, not worth it, if you don't have a great shop. and even then it will be many thousands.
I'd get a used one with relatively low miles, and plunk it in.
j

Thanks for the input. i just sent Rodney an e-mail. so i'm going to wait to hear from him to see how much. but if all else fails i have a used 130k mile trans in my storage that i'll have to throw in. thank you again.

I wouldnt spend very much dough on a rebuild, i wish i had just stuck a 700r4 in mine, lots more parts availability and easier to set up a doubler.

If you're gonna spend the money, go ahead and do the H55 5-speed upgrade. Last I heard they were running $1650 new from C-Dan. I've heard nothing but good things about this modification. When my A440 dies, I'm going manual - no questions asked.
...and that's my $0.02 on the subject. Best of luck!

I just got done ging through mine and luckily nothing was wrong with it but since it was out went ahead and did it. If it is totally shot it isnt worth it might as well get a good one that is built to take punishment from Rodney or even better do the H55F that is a sweet tranny with the 3FE.

Im currently rebuilding mine in the 62. I just ordered the rebuild kit(295) plus (125) for the converter. Its not that bad to do, A neighbor is helping in his shop so labor cost isnt a issue. But for roughly 400 bucks it beats the hell out of finding a used and possibly trashed one.

I'm in the process of rebuilding my A440F from my '89 FJ62 also.

I read (and printed out (it's a small book!)) Jim's rebuild saga; https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=65907 and it was a big help.

I can't recommend enough the factory service manual. It gives you a step by step procedure on how to do it.

Don't worry about the measurements when taking it apart, but make sure they -are in spec when re assembling it.

We have a Transtar warehouse in Portland, OR (http://www.transtarindustries.com/locations.asp) and the same rebuild kit I was quoted $396 at one of the local parts houses was $224 from them. The parts house made the mistake of saying they were getting it from Transtar!

Anyway, I'm waiting on the output shaft from the dealer, that's a real expensive part, $589 list, and then I can put it back together.

I am a radio tech, not a mechanic, but it really is not near as intimidating as everyone makes it out to be.

As Jim mentions in his thread, one of the most important things to remember is make sure your work area is clean, clean, and clean.

I'm not going to rebuild my old valve body. I am going to buy one from Rodney. I think the extra expense will be worth it in longevity and in performance.

Overall I figure I'll have a little less than $1700 in the rebuild, including the temp sensor and aux cooler from Rodney.

However, that does not include anything in the transfer case. The rebuild kit for it is about $180 from Transtar which includes all the gaskets, seals and bearings, but not the gears. I know I'm going to replace the transfer input gear, whether it looks OK or not, since it's the one that goes on the transmission output shaft.

I'm replacing some parts, just because I have it apart whether they need it or not, such as several of the thrust bearings and washers and the output shaft bearing. It's within specs, but I figure if I'm spending almost $500 (my dealer cut me some slack!) on the output shaft, another $45 for the bearing is worth it!

Also, after reading Rodney's web site, I think I'm going to put synthetic oil in it from the get go.

Anyway, if I can do it, anybody with a small amount of mechanical skill can certainly do it!

I personally wouldn't mess with a used tranny too much, aside from maybe throwin a used one in you already have. But even at that, it's kind of a lot of work for something that may not last. I'd at least go through it first, or have it done. I would recommentd either finding a reputable trans shop and have one of yours built, buy a new or rebuilt exchange unit, or do the swap to the H55. Used parts, especially ones that are difficult to change always scare me, and I have spent many a years around trans shops. My father has been a tranny guy for 30 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom