FJ62 rear wheel won't turn (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bobphoto.com
I'm having a problem with my 1988 FJ62 where the rear driver's side wheel is locked up. Got the vehicle on blocks and all other wheels turn freely. Brakes appear to be working OK on all other wheels. Is this a bent/damaged axle, differential issue, or a brake problem? Any advice would be appreciated!

Maybe the parking brake seized. Try to take the drum off, and don't forget to remove the big screw through the drum otherwise it won't budge

gonna be hard to get the drum off if the brake is tight
I was thinking it may be the bellcrank for the ebrake, it is on the back side of the drum and the cable attaches to it

Per 3_puppies - generously lubricate and hammer on the parking brake bellcrank if it won't move.

Those bell cranks are always seizing up. On 4runners and 80's it's because they used aluminum and steel and there is galvanic corrosion. Not sure if it's the same with 60's.

I'm gonna be fighting this soon on the new project. 60/62s bell cranks just rust up. It's all ferrous. PB blaster, wire wheels, time, and hammers are all going to be needed to break them loose and get them back to functional.

Make this a rear brakes project and go through both sides. You'll feel better about the system as a whole thereafter.

Once everything is released (bellcranks and adjusters) use two long M8x1.25 bolts in the threaded holes in the drum to screw/press it off. That's what they're for.

You're a lucky one OSS. I've not seen a set of those holes yet that hadn't been rendered useless by rust.

My 62's rear drum brakes (one side) were so impossible to get apart that I cut the brake nails on the back side of the backing plate, and pulled off the drum with the shoes - it all fell out on the ground as I went, so to speak. There is more than one way to skin a cat.....

I later found cheap brake nails and a hardware kit at Rock Auto and put it all back together, using the other side as a reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom