fj62 Rear Sealt Belts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Should a 1989 fj62 have three seatbelts in the rear seat? Two shoulders and one lap belt? Mine only has the two shoulder belts and I have three children...sense the problem here? :doh: So, any idea how I go about sourcing a lap belt? Thanks much for any help.

Yes you should have three. No idea on a source but I have another seat belt question.

Should I be able to pull the shoulder belts all the way out and then have them lock as they reel back in so that you can put a baby car seat on that belt and sinch it down?

did you open the lower seat to see if the middle belt is just under the seat?

if not post up in the wanted section, someone should have a center seat belt.
What color?

Yes you should have three. No idea on a source but I have another seat belt question.

Should I be able to pull the shoulder belts all the way out and then have them lock as they reel back in so that you can put a baby car seat on that belt and sinch it down?

They only lock when you stomp on the brakes, most car seats have that d ring that allows you to hook a car seat up. When in doubt follow the directions for your kid seat, no exceptions.

Tony

Umm..I am an idiot. I found the lap belt buried under the seat. Thanks much for that suggestion. I just got the truck and was so befuddled when my wife asked why does it only have two seat belts? Thanks again.

You need to use the metal clip that comes with the car seat. Babies/kids don't weigh enough to actuate the locking mechanism on normal seat belts. Read the instructions on how to install the car seat or take it to / call a fire station and have them explain/show it to you. Proper installation is very important.

:beer: Chad

Umm..I am an idiot. I found the lap belt buried under the seat. Thanks much for that suggestion. I just got the truck and was so befuddled when my wife asked why does it only have two seat belts? Thanks again.

glad you found them. simple fixes are nice.

Look at it this way: no buying a part or junkyard hunting.........yet :D

You need to use the metal clip that comes with the car seat. Babies/kids don't weigh enough to actuate the locking mechanism on normal seat belts. Read the instructions on how to install the car seat or take it to / call a fire station and have them explain/show it to you. Proper installation is very important.

:beer: Chad
Am I mistaken in thinking that the 60 series front shoulder belts are activated by vehicle motion and not by belt extension speed? If this is the case rider weight shouldn't matter, correct? :confused: My front belts will not lock on either side no matter how hard or fast I yank on them. The rear lap belts have locking mechanisms that are activated by extension speed.

I am going to install rear three point belts from a 62 today. I also have the front belts from the vehicle. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Yes, if you pulled off the trim on your 60 you can put your hands on a little weight that moves when you slam on the brakes. Moving it by hand makes the belt lock up as you pull the belt. Once stopped the weight swings back and releases the lock.

All four shoulder belts in my 62 lock up when pulled out hard. If I remember correctly they won't unlock until you release the brakes. Had this happen a few times in the woods. (And yes I just checked my FSM and there is an unlock circuit for the seat belts) May or may not be a good idea to install the 62 belts in your 60

Tony

Yep, that seems like it makes the most sense, especially since those ones do lock when I yank them. Thanks. Figuring it out in my own slow bass-ackwards way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom