fj62 questions and vin decodeing. yes i finaly bought me a fj62 today woot! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
ok first how do i decode the vin to see what options it had when new?
largest tires size i can stick on and wheel it in stock form? I beleve it has aftermarket rims right now i was thinking 32 10.50s or 11.50s? I do lots of trail rideing and i wheel at paragon offroad park in pa on the rocks. I plan on takeing it ocasionaly to nc cape hatteras fishing on the surf driveing to canada salmon fishing. i plan on doin paragon, nc and canada by end of november in it.

It runs alittle ruff right now i figure it been two years since been driven much so im gonna do a full tuneup on it tomorow not shore about changin the coil yet. Think i should? Or should i leave a good thing alone?

Theres a blower fan on drivers side fenderwell with a vent directed towards the fuel injection unit whats it do whens it run whats it purpose?

How hard to find new power window switchs one missing?

Whats main reason the ac stops working on a a fj62? i noticed the ac cltuch wasnt kicking in they cost alot to replace?

Im changein all fluids trans , transfer case and difs, what type should i run in transfer case and difs?

Do cruisers come with factory lockers?i f so was it optional or standard?

yes i been doin searchs on the forum read 60 pages last night on the forum .

Whats the leaqkest link on this beast?

Whats the throtle knob do seems like a poor mans cruise control ami right or wrong. Is it actualy a manual choke or does it just increase gas. i noticed it hold steady in park at 2900 rpms

yes please forgive me many questions but these were the ones i couldnt find answers to

thank you all very much
From
william

congrats on the purchase william. just caught your post and figured i'd offer what i can. you've got quite a few questions there and most of them have been answered before.

1. i'm not aware of a decoder for features based on VIN.

2. if your springs are in good shape you could probably stuff 33" tires under it. mind, they won't be able to have full travel without rubbing though.

3. i would work my way around to the coil and not start w/ it. a good tuneup can have an enormous impact on the running of the truck. oil, fluids, plugs, pcv valve, plug cables and new window washing fluid all have a dramatic impact on the overall health of the truck.

4. that's a carb cooling fan. mine didn't work when i got it either. it's purpose is debated, but basically it's there to cool things off when you turn the truck off so that things don't warp or the fuel doesn't boil out and cause hard starts.

5. talk to cruiserparts.net. probably your cheapest bet for used parts.

6. i'm not an A/C guru. i'll defer to someone else.

7. if the fluids coming out of the truck are dino, stick with dino. if they aren't, run synthetic. synthetics have detergents in them which could remove deposits that will lead to your truck resembling a sieve.

8. i'm not aware of lockers being stock on 60s or 62s.

9. do more searches. a lot of your questions are covered in detail.

10. huh? leaqkest?

11. if you have a manual throttle [on the right hand of column], that's pretty cool. great for wheeling. if it says CHOKE on it [on left side of column], it's a choke and used for cold starts. 2900 is pretty high for choke settings, might want to adjust the fast idle on the carb down a bit. mines at 1750 or so.

good luck with the truck. there's a lot of knowledgeable guys on here [much more than the little i offer above] that can help you through other things that come up.

enjoy!

Congrats on your purchace. Search! All your questions are covered in good detail on here. Also, post some pics of your rig!!! :) Ypu made a great choice for a vehicle just treat it right at work out all the bugs first then modify!

well the max tire size question aint realy been answerd. And i cant find the answer in the search section. stock cruiser 249,000 miles fj62 auto trans power everything.

Am i right about the throtle knob being a pore mans cruise control? its lower right of stering colum.

And whats the weakest link on a fj62?besides a heavy foot!

WckedMidas said:
well the max tire size question aint realy been answerd. And i cant find the answer in the search section. stock cruiser 249,000 miles fj62 auto trans power everything.

Am i right about the throtle knob being a pore mans cruise control? its lower right of stering colum.

Do you have the owner's manual? If so, you might want to have a look.

WckedMidas said:

No the,fast idle throttle is there for turning the rpms up if you have a PTO.
The PTO can run winches ect
Diesels use the fast idle for cold starts.

I would never use it as a cruise control on the road as it dont disconnect when you touch the brake.
Its not bad over really rough surfaces when its difficult to keep your engine at the correct rpm

I think the weakest link in the cruiser is when the 3F is over revved,keep it under 3000
This site will decode the info on the aluminim plate
http://www.birfield.com/

nah i dont have a owner manual wish it did have one.
Imatry throwing my 33/12/50/15 trxs on the rear and gonna pick twobfg all terrains up for the front in 33/9.50/15s tominimise rubbing what ya think.

Why put 2 diff widths on? Just be patient and find a complete set. Again, check your rims, if they are stock 6" wide you are going to have issues.

Good luck and think through mods b/f you do them.

i figure the front 12.50s will rub to bad when i turn. So i figure to keep with a decent tire that wont drive my pops crazy with a hum will be the bfgs. I have all four shibby i got 5 brand new trxs 33/12.50/15s if lucky they got maybe 4to 600 miles on them. they handled drove and did great no matter what insain speed i drove at or wat the condidtions were.
89 do you have a lift or you just bolting the 33s you orderd on and running it?

I have a lift waiting to go on, only been a year :) been lazy and low cash flow, as well as 2 kids. Yeah someday. And it will hopefully be soon as my current 31's are getting low! I still have to get new rims ro run the 12.5" wide tires. Plus odds and ends for the lift.

My advice is either sell the trxs and buy something that will work. Or do a shackle lift and a 1" body lift or add a leaves if you really wanna stick with the trxs tires you have. I wouldnt mix and match tires.

And thanks for letting us know you broke the jeep. :) Good luck and keep us posted. Any pics of your cruiser?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/wckedmidas/landcruiserfirstpics006.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/wckedmidas/landcruiserfirstpics004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/wckedmidas/landcruiserfirstpics002.jpg
i got morepics but i forgot and left my cam at a buddys house tonight will be able topost them tomorow.
I picked up a oil filter plugs wires rotory button coil and other missalanious stuff today for it tomorow be time to get greasy.

how bad you think a 12/50 gonna rub on a 62 with stock springs? Are my rims stock? if so what ever size tire i run is the back spaceing sufecent?

No options on the 62 other than power windows/locks/mirrors/antenna in the states. Possibly the receiver hitch...you won't really have enough power to pull the 33's, unless you want to forget about overdrive. If your a/c isn't kicking in, you don't have coolant, or it could possibly be the switch...unplug the compressor and test the line with a tester to see if you're getting power when the switch is on, if not, no coolant.

For your AC question: There is a pressure sensor in the AC circuit that will open if there is not sufficient pressure in the system. This switch prevents you from running the compressor when there is no freon in the system. Before you diagnose the compressor clutch as bad make sure that it really is bad and that the AC system is not just low on charge.

As for the most common AC problems on landcruisers and every other car for that matter it is leaks

Well ipicked up 3 32 11.50 bfg At and 2 good year At same size used the bfgs got like 85 to90 percent tread the good years have like 60 percent tread. They get mounted tomorow cant wait.But i did take the stock wheels threw alittle mud sopmeoffcamber spots and a tiny hill with a woopty doo . The woopDyDoo gives my girls yj with 31s and 3 and a half inch lift a nice thrill one wheel in air the works. The cruiser in low rolled up over and on down the trail with the stock wheels . Im so stookedabout tomorow woot.

welcome man as far as lockers being a factory op. well mine had both front and rear even have the orig. paperwork the one im picking up also has one its also 62 factory rear both cruisers are cable operated lockers :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom