fj62 projector low beams (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody successfully install projector low beam headlights in an fj62 (as recommended by Daniel Stern)? He recommends these as the ultimate driving light upgrade. Problem is, they are about 4 times deeper than the standard headlights, and would require cutting holes, relocating the battery, and fabricating some kind of adjusting mechanism. So I am curious if anyone has gone this route, and if so, how did you do it?

Or would it be a better idea (as I am leaning towards) to upgrade with H4 lamps/relays/bigger wires, and then install a couple of aux lamps in the bull bar?

Check the last thread in the FAQ list ;) You won't need aux lamps.

Thanks for your write up.

Yep, I read that thread twice. Thanks for your write-up. It's the reason I contacted Daniel Stern. I sort of expected him to recommend pretty much what you got from him. He threw me a little bit of a curve ball by recommending the projector lamps, but I don't think it would be worth modding the front end for them, especially based on your success with the H4/H1 setup.

I'm encouraged that this setup works well enough for you that aux lights are not needed, and you have some long winter nights in Alberta to be sure. Thanks again.

When I was talking to him, he brought the projectors up, but didn't push them, and as soon as I learned the dimensions I dismissed them.

I looked at the projector lights as well but decided that it wasn't worth the effort. Daniel recommended the projectors but relocating the battery trays was the deal breaker for me. I was already running a Hella H4/H1 combo in my FJ-62 (with upgraded wiring) but was looking to upgrade the Hellas to something better.

I decided to upgrade to Bosch H4s (Daniel said he slightly prefers the Bosch over the Cibie for high mount applications like 'cruisers). I also upgraded to a very slightly overwatted bulb (10 watts over on low beams I believe). This was definitely a step up from the Hella H4s. I almost never run my PIAA fog lights now.

I did decide to stay with the Hella H1s however. Daniel said that unlike the Hella H4s the Hella H1s are actually pretty good. That has been my experience. The combination of the upgraded wiring, the Bosch H4s with slightly more wattage blubs, and the Hella H1s make my high beams absolutely outstanding.

Last time I talked to him, he recommended going with Bosch H4s as the best solution for a 62 without having to modify anything (save for a wiring upgrade, which I've already done).

Joel, what P/N are you using for your H4 bulbs? Is their pinout the same as the Hella H4s? I remember having to change the pinout of my connectors to use the Hellas.

I'll have to get the exact P/N for the bulbs I'm running from a spare that I've got. I think that they are 70/65W Osram Plus 50. The lifespan on these could be better but the light is very nice. I always carry a spare anyway...

AFAIK H4s bulbs all have the same pin configuration (except maybe the funny bubble shaped ones) but it's different than a stock US 62's bulbs. The Hellas came with a little adapter for the stock wiring. However since I'm not running stock wiring I I just ran the wires to the pins directly. I use little 3 spade terminal socket that Daniel uses in his upgraded wiring kits (which is really just these sockets and fuse holders). No changes when I went to the Bosch lamps except that I think I liked the Hella rubber seal better and transferred it to the Bosch lamps.

Sounds dead on for what I am running (or was..) The Osram bulbs have incredible QC, they both failed within a span of 3 hours of night driving in Oregon. ;p I've replaced them with GE bulbs (what I could find at WallyWorld), and there is noticebly less light. I have spare Osrams, just didn't have them with me.

I'll have to get the exact P/N for the bulbs I'm running from a spare that I've got. I think that they are 70/65W Osram Plus 50. The lifespan on these could be better but the light is very nice. I always carry a spare anyway...

AFAIK H4s bulbs all have the same pin configuration (except maybe the funny bubble shaped ones) but it's different than a stock US 62's bulbs. The Hellas came with a little adapter for the stock wiring. However since I'm not running stock wiring I I just ran the wires to the pins directly. I use little 3 spade terminal socket that Daniel uses in his upgraded wiring kits (which is really just these sockets and fuse holders).

Sounds dead on for what I am running (or was..) The Osram bulbs have incredible QC, they both failed within a span of 3 hours of night driving in Oregon. ;p I've replaced them with GE bulbs (what I could find at WallyWorld), and there is noticebly less light. I have spare Osrams, just didn't have them with me.

You mean they failed within three hours of use, or they both failed within three hours of each other?

Both failed within 3 hours of each other, after about 10 months of use. Kind of wonder if there was a surge or something, but I didn't notice anything funky. They've always seen full alternator voltage though, so that may have had an effect on their life.

Hmmm. I'm not sure what the problem is as it works fine for me. But you can find it by looking for Outback Imports website and following the link there. I hope that helps.

And here I thought that I was done upgrading my headlights :D Actually the Bosch H4s + wiring upgrade + 70/65 bulbs are almost as good as the Xenon HID lamps in my 2003 Audi A4. They are certainly better than the lamps in my 1999 Audi A4.

Resurrecting this thread since I'm still trying to find the absolute best lighting method for my truck without using HIDs and projectors. I still have yet to order the Bosch housings (still have the Hellas), but saw these Osram bulbs and thought they'd be a good upgrade from the 60/55 +50 bulbs I've been running. From what I can tell they're not E-code bulbs (the non-US standard connector pinout), so I'd have to change the pins in my connectors back to the same as they were stock. I'm trying to find what the color temperature and total output lumen ratings are on them before ordering, and see how that compares to the bulbs I've got installed now.

Gonna keep my Hella H1 housings for now, which Dan Stern suggested was a good idea, and look around to see if there are better bulbs available than the ones I'm using there right now. That and I REALLY need to track down actual connectors for them so I'm not using just plain spade terminals.

...... That and I REALLY need to track down actual connectors for them so I'm not using just plain spade terminals.
You mean like these:
CPH4CFC_md.jpg

Susquehanna MotorSports - Auto Performance Product

I have a couple sets, but I've yet to install them. Pretty nice parts though.

You mean like these:
CPH4CFC_md.jpg

Susquehanna MotorSports - Auto Performance Product

I have a couple sets, but I've yet to install them. Pretty nice parts though.

I've already got plugs for my H4s (though I like those and might have to look into replacing mine). It's the H1s that are giving me fits with trying to find a 2-spade connector that fits. I'm surprised there's been so little support across the web with appropriate connectors for the H1s.

That's because you can use the H4 connector to connect to the H1 bulbs and only connect the two on the sides. If you really feel you need just the two connector guy, and are willing to gamble a few bucks, you might try this connector that is spec'd as an H7 connector, but looks like it might work:

http://discoverbulbs.com/images/auto_bulbs/h7_ceramic_wm.jpg

Or this one with the wires at a 90 degree angle:

http://discoverbulbs.com/images/auto_bulbs/h7_90_ceramic_wm.jpg

The pictures are from this page:

http://discoverbulbs.com/connectors.htm

Last edited:
I know that there are quite a few mods to fit the projector headlights as people have stated but I am curious if anyone on mud has ever attempted the install...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom