FJ62 Pre-Smog Delete Question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was looking at the huge bolt or nut on the exhasut manifold for the egr. I have the plug already but it looks like the entire thng must come out in order for me to thread this plug in. Is there a cap that will thread onto the outside of this fitting rather than having to remove the existing fiitting? It just seems like it would be easier.

I just backed the whole thing out, If I remember correctly I used a 3/4" threaded Brass Plug. Works fine.
:beer: ✌️

I'm in New England. Lots of PB blaster, mapp gas torch, and my air compressor. What a pain

I had a feeling. I can't believe there is no cap that will fit that thing. If I find one I will post. No high hopes for it though.

I had to use a 32mm impact socket. Hammered the crap out of it but it backed out. PB Blaster for 2 days prior. Got the air rail out without pulling the manifold but decided to pull it anyway to get the new plugs in and clean it while it's out. Waiting on Dorman vacuum plugs, got the cap for the air cleaner port but discovered that the intake hose it connects to in cracked at the nipple. Got to replace that one for the first time. I have replaced the accordian one at least 3 times since 1988. I guess City Racer will get my business. All my old Toyota parts guys have retired.

There is an appropriately sized Dorman plug for the exhaust manifold...not the brass plug type that has been documented as always working loose. The Dorman plugs come in boxes of 5, I have extras.

I sourced some plugs and things separately but also just ordered the 3FE kit from @FJ40Jim. @Dunbar are you in the middle of doing this now?

@Skniper I am in the middle. Just realized I might need a gasket for the intake manifold. I think last time I pulled it for injectors it was still perfect and slapped it back together.

I got a brass threaded plug with my kit. We should meet up and trade drinks for a plug!

@Skniper I am in the middle. Just realized I might need a gasket for the intake manifold. I think last time I pulled it for injectors it was still perfect and slapped it back together.

I got a brass threaded plug with my kit. We should meet up and trade drinks for a plug!
Deal. @Saucerman the door's open, c'mon!

The threaded plug is Dorman 090-099, search it up, Godwin shows some pics of it. Like I said it's a box of 5 so I have a few.

I had a feeling. I can't believe there is no cap that will fit that thing. If I find one I will post. No high hopes for it though.
Something to keep in mind with brass is that it will expand and contract with temperature, eventually working loose and possibly falling out at the worst possible time. I learned this lesson and fortunately wasn't on the road when I caught it. What I ended up doing was cutting one threaded end off of the union and welding a small chunk of steel to it to cap it off, grinding the "cap" to match the size of the hex portion and then reinserting it into the manifold. I'll post a pic later to show what I did. It's held perfectly in the many years since.

One thing to keep in mind is that the union is an absolute beast to get out of and back into the manifold. A heavy impact and lots of Mouse Milk (or Kroil) are your friends here.

838DD6FD-A1AD-483E-9140-08E362B19B09.jpeg

you just need a longer lever and you can move the world!

View attachment 2674569
you just need a longer lever and you can move the world!
I've snapped breaker bars doing similar things before. I suppose depending on how stuck in place your union is you may or may not break stuff. With my luck the breaker bar lets go just before impacting either my skull or getting my hands smashed. I've fallen in love with my 1/2" 18V Milwaukee impact for just this reason 😂

I've snapped breaker bars doing similar things before. I suppose depending on how stuck in place your union is you may or may not break stuff. With my luck the breaker bar lets go just before impacting either my skull or getting my hands smashed. I've fallen in love with my 1/2" 18V Milwaukee impact for just this reason 😂
That’s a 3/4 drive. Don’t think I eat enough spinach to break that!

That’s a 3/4 drive. Don’t think I eat enough spinach to break that!
You'd be surprised how easy it can be with a cheater bar and putting your weight behind it. It does not make for an enjoyable afternoon!

Doing the smog delete this coming weekend. How important is it to go ahead and remove the cats? A friend is making some exhaust pieces for me and he hasn't had time to do it yet. I was just going to go ahead with the cats in place. Any harm?

Doing the smog delete this coming weekend. How important is it to go ahead and remove the cats? A friend is making some exhaust pieces for me and he hasn't had time to do it yet. I was just going to go ahead with the cats in place. Any harm?

No harm leaving them

Like @Godwin said, I really don't think our cats limit exhaust flow at all. They're a honeycomb design and greatly enlarged so as to allow plenty of space for the gas to flow through in a laminar flow (which is good for maintaining velocity and free flow). Old cats (early 80s and before) weren't, and would restrict flow. I've ran without mine for I think it's been close to 15 years now, and once I have the money to order a stainless exhaust from @OTRAMM I won't bother requesting it without a cat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom