Fj62 part time to full time 4wd? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I forget to unlock my front hubs a while ago and was driving along wondering why things seemed to be louder and the truck was extra doggy around 50 mph. Then I remembered I had been using the 4wd the previous day. I pulled over and unlocked the hubs and all was well again.

If I were going to adapt a 4wd truck for someone with a disability I would look for either auto locking hubs or electric locking hubs so you could still have the option of running 2wd.

I forgot to unlock my front hubs a while ago and was driving along wondering why things seemed to be louder and the truck was extra doggy around 50 mph. Then I remembered I had been using the 4wd the previous day. I pulled over and unlocked the hubs and all was well again.

If I were going to adapt a 4wd truck for someone with a disability I would look for either auto locking hubs or electric locking hubs so you could still have the option of running 2wd

This how it works?

A 60/62 series doesn’t have the center differential…just the transfer case. So in 4wd power is spit 50/50 front and rear. In the 80’s and newer they have the center diff which helps compensate for front vs rear wheel speeds. If you were to leave the center diff locked all the time in an 80 it would be akin to a 60 series in 4 wd.

Am I wrong?

A leaf sprung Cruiser set up correctly has zero issues running with hubs locked half the year. You can also run in 4wd just fine up to highway speeds.

My old v8 FJ60 absolutely dialed suspension, axles, steering, caster and on 35” mud tires in 4wd on dry pavement = one finger on the wheel. Sipped the muddies, excellent traction on snow and ice after. Absolute cadillac off-road and on pavement. I realize going coils and 80 axles and full time 4wd may be the rage but you can build a leaf spring Cruiser absolutely stellar, just takes more than bolting in parts in my opinion.

Maybe I am old school and spent to many years in the heart if the rockies but we always locked hubs in November and unlocked in April.

Nothing wrong with full time 4wd besides increased wear and it will drop mpg a touch. I just don’t see the point in a 60/62/70 series. Even the new 70-series are still part time 4wd with locking hubs.

Cheers

per the owners manual..."The purpose of the free-wheeling hubs is to allow you to disengage the front axle and driveshaft so that they are not revolving when the vehicle is in two-wheel drive. This reduces noise and wear."

Every time I ever drove off forgetting the hubs were locked ...they reminded me when I got up to about 50mph with a droning hum.

Interestingly the owners manual does say to drive at least 10 miles each month with the hubs locked to help lub drive components.

I busted a rear pinion on Hole in the Rock Trail in Utah. I had a full floater so I disassembled the rear, pulled the axle shafts and pinion, stuffed rags in the holes
where the pinion and axles once were , engaged the front and drove the 400 plus miles home at freeway speeds on the front end. It's a little noisier but driving
with the front engaged is fine even on asphalt, as long as you don't have a spool or other auto lockers.

I was about 1/2 mile on the trail when the break happened. One thing about only having front wheel drive is you'll have to do any steep climbs in reverse.
There's no traction on the front end when you're climbing. It helps greatly to have a selectable locker up front. I probably wouldn't have got out with an open front diff

I really appreciate all the input on this subject. Doing some more research on the topic, bit can't seem to find a particular answer. Could the transfer case from a fj80 (91,92) be attached to the 89 fj62 tranny. Then add drive plates and axel hubs from the 80 series? My buddy has the budget if he has to also put in the entire front 80's axel. Would this work?
Thanks again everyone!
Merry Christmas

Drive plates for 60 series exist, you don't need to use the ones from an 80. In many countries the 40, 60 and 70 series were/are sold without locking hub (even today).

When i drove out to Colorado from coastal North Carolina I stayed in Breckenridge for a week snowboarding then theholidays came was nothing affordable to stay at so I got a s*** hole place in Fairplay for 2 weeks. I drove my 62 with my hubs locked the whole time 30 mile drive each way every day over the Houser pass when i felt like I needed 4wd I would hit the 4 wheel high button on the fly and when i didn't I would hit the button and turn the 4wd off never had an issue roads were not always snow covered.

I really appreciate all the input on this subject. Doing some more research on the topic, bit can't seem to find a particular answer. Could the transfer case from a fj80 (91,92) be attached to the 89 fj62 tranny. Then add drive plates and axel hubs from the 80 series? My buddy has the budget if he has to also put in the entire front 80's axel. Would this work?
Thanks again everyone!
Merry Christmas

Not sure if the FJ80 transfer case will bolt to the FJ62 transmission. You may need the transmission + transfer case from the FJ80 for this to work. The FJ62 has a 3FE and the FJ80 has a 3FE so the FJ80 transmission should mate to the FJ62 3FE. That's my best guess on this.

I don't think 80 series drive plates will work, as has been stated, they're not needed, just keep the FJ62 hubs locked or source appropriate drive plates.

Not sure if the FJ80 transfer case will bolt to the FJ62 transmission. You may need the transmission + transfer case from the FJ80 for this to work. The FJ62 has a 3FE and the FJ80 has a 3FE so the FJ80 transmission should mate to the FJ62 3FE. That's my best guess on this.

I don't think 80 series drive plates will work, as has been stated, they're not needed, just keep the FJ62 hubs locked or source appropriate drive plates.
Thanks man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom