Fj62 part time to full time 4wd? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jas89

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm just curious what would need to be done. I'm I right to think you'd remove the free wheeling hubs, replace with a 80 series locked hub and use the high switch on the dash etc.
Stupid question I know, but I'm just trying to understand the system.
I appreciate any insights.
Thanks

Transmission and transfer case from a FJ80 ('91 - '92) may bolt up to the 3FE in the FJ62 then just keep your front hubs locked. Other modifications may also be needed.

Easier to just buy an 80 series.

That isn't the way it works it will be full time 4wd like that and will drive fine on snow covered roads or dirt / mud. The fj80 is allwheel drive and has a differential in the tcase fj60 and fj62 do not

The thing that makes 4WD "Full Time" vs "Part Time" is the transfer case. FJ80 transfercases have a center differential, which prevents the front and rear from binding up. In part-time 4WD systems, the front wheels travel a different distance than the rear wheels (especially when taking turns, for example), which causes the drive-line to bind up on dry pavement.

You *could* convert a 60 to full-time AWD by swapping in an FJ80 transmission and transfercase and leaving the front hubs locked all the time, but you'd also have to swap the electronics, since the transmission is electronically controlled.

I didn't think the 80 tranny would match up to the 62s 3fe. Pretty sure the input shafts are different. Not sure if the 80 transfer csse could bolt up to the a440f.

Ahhh, great feedback. So it sounds like the 62's axels would essentially work with the 80's drivetrain though? Thanks for the input.

That isn't the way it works it will be full time 4wd like that and will drive fine on snow covered roads or dirt / mud. The fj80 is allwheel drive and has a differential in the tcase fj60 and fj62 do not
Thanks for that. So if I understand correctly, essentially the 80's drivetrain would work with the 62's axels though?

Why?
So you can wear out the front drivetrain as fast as the rear?
With part time your birfields will last forever unless you break them wheeling.
At 250K you can swap the front diff to the rear and start with a fresh differential.
Until 1979ish all the land cruisers same with drive plates rather than locking hubs.
One of the first things new owners did was to toss on locking hubs. It reduced
drag and wear .

Why?
So you can wear out the front drivetrain as fast as the rear?
With part time your birfields will last forever unless you break them wheeling.
At 250K you can swap the front diff to the rear and start with a fresh differential.
Until 1979ish all the land cruisers same with drive plates rather than locking hubs.
One of the first things new owners did was to toss on locking hubs. It reduced
drag and wear .
Why does one do anything we do? Different strokes Mr wizard. I have a friend who has a handicap, but loves his 62. It would make a bit more user friendly for him. I thought I would get some insight from this forum.
Thanks for your input.

It’s really not the right platform to do this on without a center differential.

Why does one do anything we do? Different strokes Mr wizard. I have a friend who has a handicap, but loves his 62. It would make a bit more user friendly for him. I thought I would get some insight from this forum.
Thanks for your input.
The simplest way is to to just keep the hubs locked. The front end feels a little different with the hubs locked with the tcase in 2WD but you get used to it in short while.
When I bought my 78 FJ40 , new, it did not have hubs so the front was always engaged. It was just as manageable without the hubs as with. Pulling the tcase back to the
4WD position wasn't terribly inconvenient. At least not so much as wading through mud or snow to lock in the hubs . You might lose a little fuel mileage but compared to the cost swapping drivetrain the money lost in fuel would never pay for the swap.
Same reason I don't tell people to do a V-8 or diesel swap on a Land Cruiser that is running well. Yes , you'll get better gas mileage but how far do you have to drive to
offset a 20,000.00 investment to save the difference in fuel going from 12 to 16 MPG. That 20,000 is a very conservative estimate if you do most the work yourself.

keeping the front hubs locked while in 2wd doesn't make much sense. The front wheels are going to turn the birfs, the front diff and the front drive shaft but the drive shaft isn't engaged in the t/case so you're just turning and wearing out stuff. Also the hubs are going to get loud when you get to highways speeds. Pretty sure you should stay under 30mph with hubs locked. The the OP: your friend needs to hire a "trunk monkey" to jump out and lock the hubs.;)

keeping the front hubs locked while in 2wd doesn't make much sense. The front wheels are going to turn the birfs, the front diff and the front drive shaft but the drive shaft isn't engaged in the t/case so you're just turning and wearing out stuff. Also the hubs are going to get loud when you get to highways speeds. Pretty sure you should stay under 30mph with hubs locked. The the OP: your friend needs to hire a "trunk monkey" to jump out and lock the hubs.;)

Past history of Land Cruisers being sold and running with drive plates discounts this idea. If hubs, front diff, front driveshaft are in good condition this will work. 80 series have been doing this for years.

The simplest way is to to just keep the hubs locked. The front end feels a little different with the hubs locked with the tcase in 2WD but you get used to it in short while.
When I bought my 78 FJ40 , new, it did not have hubs so the front was always engaged. It was just as manageable without the hubs as with. Pulling the tcase back to the
4WD position wasn't terribly inconvenient. At least not so much as wading through mud or snow to lock in the hubs . You might lose a little fuel mileage but compared to the cost swapping drivetrain the money lost in fuel would never pay for the swap.
Same reason I don't tell people to do a V-8 or diesel swap on a Land Cruiser that is running well. Yes , you'll get better gas mileage but how far do you have to drive to
offset a 20,000.00 investment to save the difference in fuel going from 12 to 16 MPG. That 20,000 is a very conservative estimate if you do most the work yourself.
Thanks for the input. I appreciate the knowledge.👍

It makes sense if you're going in and out of 2WD a lot.

...and why would the front hubs get loud? An FJ80 uses essentially the same axle, just with drive plates instead of locking hubs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom