FJ62 Paint Color Decision (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
Reaching an inflection point on repainting my FJ62. It is currently being stripped down in the shop. The idea was always to repaint in stock white but I have never been in love with the white so I'm thinking of painting it a new color. Plus I intend on keeping this truck forever so not as concerned with keeping it stock for resale value. Would describe the main use as "overland" fishing, hunting, road trips, light trails, etc.

Option A: Dessert/Dirt Beige
This feels like a safe call and keeps it fairly original. Not sure the exact color code I would choose. There is a beige 62 that TLC built that I would love to replicate. Can't figure out what color it is though.
1638721971536.png
1638722074069.png

Option B: Keswick Green
Would have never considered green before but I was impressed with @Tonto18 build thread. Thinking about mimicking this.
1638721063115.png
1638721104486.png

Option C: Cement Grey (4 Runner)
I love the cement grey of the new 4 Runner but would maybe go a bit lighter. S/O @NOLACC for doing this already..
1638721499514.png
1638722234583.png

Option D: Cadet Blue
This blue is generally my favorite color but have heard this paint is hard to find. Also not sure how it would look on a 62.
1638721713090.png

Please let me know your opinions and suggestions.

1638721567673.png

1638721797403.png

1638722176972.png

I'm gonna eventually repaint my 60 and change the color as well and therefore have had the same questions. To set myself some boundaries I decided to pick only from Toyota colors that came factory on FJ40s and 60 series. That way you end up with a period correct color for these trucks. In my opinion for example the newer Toyota forest dark green or cement gray.

Check out the FJ Company's past build page as it gives good shots of all those colors and usually lists the color code as well.

For me, I'm leaning towards Olive Green or Cadet Blue. I'm not sue why it would be hard to find any color as it's gonna be mixed for you no matter what.

Telling YOU what colour WE would like to see on YOUR cruiser is a risky game. I mean, it will be yours for a while so pick a colour you like staring at.

Take your time, scroll pictures in the internet, ask your wife, your dad… but not “the internet”, even if it is IH8Mud ;)

That my opinion. Good luck !

Cadet Blue

what colour is your interior? that helped me make the decision not to change colour as the colour i liked would have looked wrong with my interior and changing an entire interior is a big expensive job.

i like the cement grey but i would even throw the stock two tone blue into the decision mix if it was mine. love that combo

Hey guys,
Reaching an inflection point on repainting my FJ62. It is currently being stripped down in the shop. The idea was always to repaint in stock white but I have never been in love with the white so I'm thinking of painting it a new color. Plus I intend on keeping this truck forever so not as concerned with keeping it stock for resale value. Would describe the main use as "overland" fishing, hunting, road trips, light trails, etc.

Option A: Dessert/Dirt Beige
This feels like a safe call and keeps it fairly original. Not sure the exact color code I would choose. There is a beige 62 that TLC built that I would love to replicate. Can't figure out what color it is though.
View attachment 2856106View attachment 2856110

Option B: Keswick Green
Would have never considered green before but I was impressed with @Tonto18 build thread. Thinking about mimicking this.
View attachment 2856088View attachment 2856089

Option C: Cement Grey (4 Runner)
I love the cement grey of the new 4 Runner but would maybe go a bit lighter. S/O @NOLACC for doing this already..
View attachment 2856093View attachment 2856117

Option D: Cadet Blue
This blue is generally my favorite color but have heard this paint is hard to find. Also not sure how it would look on a 62.
View attachment 2856095

Please let me know your opinions and suggestions.

View attachment 2856094

View attachment 2856096

View attachment 2856116

@greekfreak27

Ride in ya own own lane, brotha… I could say some nostalgic, philosophical BS about keeping true to the color of the era (no judgement, cause I am a big fan of OG OE) - but I’m not someone who paints by numbers.

When the sun hits that pearl in the base coat of the cement grey, I can’t help but grin…

If you have a vision on what you want, just go with it - it’s your rig.

427F7215-B02E-42DC-82FB-8392B5E0D1CB.jpeg

0A0772CF-803C-4F4A-86E4-97774D2C2622.jpeg

832A323F-CBA2-43A1-A10B-C7B9FE74E7E0.jpeg

Pick a color that does not look like gloss primer :) And if you choose a primer color you could add contrast with some side decals. But as said pick a color you like. You don´t find a color that everyone in internet says yes to.

you already have the best 60 color. White wins hands down. If you want it to be a fancy modern 2 stage, do the white from the 200 in 2 stage. Cant beat a white toyota from the 80s

Last edited:
So what'd you go with? I like the Beige and Cement colors best of those you listed.

@greekfreak27

Ride in ya own own lane, brotha… I could say some nostalgic, philosophical BS about keeping true to the color of the era (no judgement, cause I am a big fan of OG OE) - but I’m not someone who paints by numbers.

When the sun hits that pearl in the base coat of the cement grey, I can’t help but grin…

If you have a vision on what you want, just go with it - it’s your rig.

View attachment 2870997

View attachment 2870998

View attachment 2870999
a wonderful gray color! Mine is Rustoleum Smoke Gray. Yours is nicer.

you already have the best 60 color. White wins hands down. If you want it to be a fancy modern 2 stage, do the white from the 200 in 2 stage. Cant beat a white toyota from the 80s

Even if you go with an original color, why wouldn’t you use a two stage paint?

The life span of single stage is a joke… waste of time and money. Within 3 years it will be chalked out, especially white.

Clear coat is an essential for UV protection, that can last for 10-15+ years.

@greekfreak27 I decided on cement because it was the closest thing to the bottom base coat color off the original 2 tone factory paint job that was originally on my truck…

I honestly think the paint gurus at Toyota decided to take some of those original colors, add some pearl to the base coat, in order to create the new-retro color schemes.

If you aren’t a fan of gloss - just have the shop use a matte clear or an eggshell clear…

My single stage white paint on my 87 4Runner looked perfect after 30 years there’s a lot of original paint 60s rolling around too. all single stage. The gel coat on the fiberglass top faded some bit the original paint still was perfect. This is without any paint correction or wax. I’m pretty sure the super white color even still from Toyota is single stage. Something about clear coat having a tinge of yellow to it over time that is easily seen with white. That part I just read online, but multiple sources say that the white and some non metallic colors today from Toyota are still single stage

The newer trd pro colors besides the lime green have been standard military(ish) camo colors. They appeal to the American market and come on mostly vehicles that are only sold here like the 4Runner, tundra, and Tacoma. Flat dark earth. Olive drab green. Coyote/light Grey. Etc. If you order a kydex color swatch sheet you’ll see most of the trd pro colors there haha

52BF12D4-2960-4C4E-8CA6-F283EDE64297.jpeg

Last edited:
The life span of single stage is a joke… waste of time and money. Within 3 years it will be chalked out, especially white.

Maybe from Maaco....

The single stage white factory paint on my '98 4Runner still shines nicely. 262K miles and plenty of time outdoors. Definitely not a clear-coat factory paint job.

I repainted my '78 FJ40 with DuPont paint in 1990 and have buffed the paint about twice since then. Still shines nicely. It doesn't look overly shiny for the era in which it was built.

Maybe from Maaco....

The single stage white factory paint on my '98 4Runner still shines nicely. 262K miles and plenty of time outdoors. Definitely not a clear-coat factory paint job.

I repainted my '78 FJ40 with DuPont paint in 1990 and have buffed the paint about twice since then. Still shines nicely. It doesn't look overly shiny for the era in which it was built.
My white single stage 2000 4runner still has good paint. It's the 4runners with clearcoat that are starting to go now. I actually got a new hood and painted it white with Rustoleum rattle can paint. No clearcoat. 3 years later and it still looks pro.

If it was me I'd go military colours so when the government comes after me I can hide. So around here, deep green. If in the southwest, desert tan.

To each their own, wasn’t trying to h8, at all.
Lol, Maaco - @SteveH you took the words out of my mouth… however, RIP DuPont.

I’m a sucker for a slick finish, shot my 62 with sherwin glamour clear.

There’s definitely a place in my heart for a matte finish… But, I would be shooting two stage with a matte clear - or just get it wrapped.

After much deliberation this is what I ended up doing. I went with Toyota code 040 with a clear coat. Should be done in the next week or two.

I am adding black euro mirrors and a black kaymar bumper so I think that will ease some of my concerns about the white on chrome all around.

After much deliberation this is what I ended up doing. I went with Toyota code 040 with a clear coat. Should be done in the next week or two.

I am adding black euro mirrors and a black kaymar bumper so I think that will ease some of my concerns about the white on chrome all around.
Heck yeah man! I think years from now you’ll be glad you went with that choice. Can’t beat the 1980s Toyota white paint!

I'd strongly recommend having your painter spray a few pieces of scrap metal before deciding on your color. I was dead set on Aventurine green metallic (M6T paint code) until I brought home a panel and looked at it in different light conditions, then compared it against my wife's v60 wagon's color. . .almost identical and not the color I want on my 60. Having a panel sprayed in Dark Emerald Matte (Green)/G7W paint code.

Take your time b/c you'll live with the color of your choice until death!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom