FJ62 or FZJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need some advice, I am considering purchasing either a 62 or an 80. I have always liked the 62 and can't decide which way to go. I have the money for the 80, but it takes a bite out of the old savings account. Which way should I go? Splurge for the 80 or go for the older 62? Any advice either way would be very helpful

Wow... where to begin. There are advantages to each, people swear by each, and so it's largely going to depend on the driving and creature comforts you're cool with. If you go the 80 route, check out slee offroad's website to see the variations over the years (you'll probably want a mid-90s 80, I think, if you chose that model).

I have a 62 and I love it. The style, the slightly rough ride (esp. when compared to the 80), the ruggedness, etc etc. I smile everytime I see and drive it, which I can't say would happen with too many other cars. I have learned to love the quirks and even the upkeep that it needs. I love the fact that even I, a newbie wrencher, can figure out where most parts go and how to replace them just using the FSM.

That said, the 80 seems to have cheaper upgrades, easier to find parts, and just as capable offroading abilities with an uber-comfortable ride. Depending on what you want, you might actually spend the same amount of money buying a pre- locked 80 with suspension upgrades than if you were to do those upgrades to a 62 and the ongoing maintenance that a typical 62 requires (everything adds up)... but it's up to you.

I don't want to simplify it by saying it's a style issue, but they're both great vehicles. So it kinda is. And as 80s come down in price, the $$$ issue seems to lessen more and more. Putting an OME lift on a 80 is a lot cheaper than it is for a 62.

Try to test drive both... you can't lose either way but they are quite different rides. You'll know which one appeals to you..

The answer to your question really depends upon what you want to do with the truck and how mechanically inclined you are. In general, a FJ62 will cost less to purchase than a FZJ80. In general, a FJ62 will also likely need more mechanical attention than a newer FZJ80 with fewer miles. If you can't decide, buy one of each. :)

If you are using it as a DD, I think I would probably go with the 80. If it's more like an expedition/offroad vehicle, I would probably go with the 62.

That's my $.02 anyway.

The 80 is (out of the box) more capable off road than any comparable 60/62. Get an 80 with lockers and you won't be sorry.

The FZ is much more luxurious.... but I think the FJ60/62 has a ton more character and the fact that mine is a manual transmission (FJ60) was one of my motivators for making my decision. If you wanted an automatic, more luxury, and/or towing capacity than the FZ would be it over an FJ62.

I can fit a twin air mattress in the back of my rig and it can wheel like a mofo. It is very very basic to work on, no electronics/computers to fail, and sipping 87 octane running like a champ is another bonus. Plus the thumbs up you get driving around I don't think would happen in a FZ.

They are different... I think I like the more old school rig myself. They have character.

Thanks for the advice, I am having a very hard time deciding which way to go. Also the 62 I am looking at is an 88 that doesn't have power locks or windows. Are there advantages to the older FJ62 or are the newer FJ62's a better choice?

anatomyguy said:
Thanks for the advice, I am having a very hard time deciding which way to go. Also the 62 I am looking at is an 88 that doesn't have power locks or windows. Are there advantages to the older FJ62 or are the newer FJ62's a better choice?

'89 and '90s have three point harnesses for the rear seat.

Bill

gnx7 said:
The FZ is much more luxurious.... but I think the FJ60/62 has a ton more character and the fact that mine is a manual transmission (FJ60) was one of my motivators for making my decision. If you wanted an automatic, more luxury, and/or towing capacity than the FZ would be it over an FJ62.

I can fit a twin air mattress in the back of my rig and it can wheel like a mofo. It is very very basic to work on, no electronics/computers to fail, and sipping 87 octane running like a champ is another bonus. Plus the thumbs up you get driving around I don't think would happen in a FZ.

They are different... I think I like the more old school rig myself. They have character.

The 80's are in no way a complicated car at all and are made to run off crap(87) gas. Owned 2 60's and 3 80's. The money you would save doesnt really make sense to not go with an 80. The 80 is without a doubt the most versatile cruiser ever built and has proven its reliability. The only reason to go with a 60 IMOP would be for character and a 4-speed.

I would buy a FZJ80. I have owned my 60 for awhile and recently built an 80. I am really happy with 80 and very impressed on it's offroad worthiness. :cheers:

If you plan to carry anything in it, or camp in it, the 62 is the only way to go, 6 foot flat surface! 80 values are dropping like a stone...62 already condidered a classic, if you care about the "back end" of the deal, go 62. If you want ready power, go 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom