FJ62 Only shifts when going in and out of neutral (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
theewhitemouse.tumblr.com
Yesterday after lunch and driving back to work my tranny stopped doing its job. It would not shift at all and got back on side streets in first and second gears. In order to get it home which isnt far I decided to pull a "party trick" for the first time and it actually worked a little and got me home. Once home I went purchased about 100 bucks of synthetic tranny fluid and rodneyed the hell out of her and just now topped her off with beautiful cherry red synthetic fluid. Brought her to temp, shifted in and out of every gear in the garage, checked the dip and we are right on the money.

However...upon tonights test drive at temp, I could not get it to shift in and out of gears while accelerating. Upon stoping at a stop sign it would reset into first just fine though.

So upon further screwing around, I figured out I could ratchet shift it in an out of neutral and drive as if it was a stick shift and it would shift "normally"???

Example - 1st gear vroooooooom - no shift - put in neutral - let off accelerator -pop back into drive- presto now in second gear- etc.

SO I know the first guy to respond to these loves to say " so whats your question"? So here is my question...what the hell am I dealing with here? Any tips tricks? Tranny finally dead? any other things it could be?

Quick background. I dealt with a minor version of this about 2 years ago and dropped the pan, replaced the filter, gasket and fluid and it bought me 2 years. Present day - Truck sat in garage for 3 months while I removed rust cancer and repainted. Drove for 2 days to work ( 30 miles tops) and here we sit.

Last edited:
If you get into the back of the A440F manual there are fluid schematics that show which circuits are working for different shift lever positions.
There are functional tests in the chassis/body manual that can help narrow it down.
Sounds like a pressure issue that can be caused by sticky pistons in the valve body, the torque converter, the pump, seals in the subassemblys, clutches, and the throttle cable.
Maybe the valve body got a little sticky after it sat for a while? Maybe just a little adjustment tighter on the throttle cable would work?

When you did the Rodney flush could you keep up putting fluid in or did you have to shut down?

I would check the throttle cable.
Sounds similar to what mine was doing when the cable broke inside the sleeve.
I adjusted it all over the place, and no change. Then I noticed it did not spring back to its return/rest.
I replaced it, and bingo!

So I played around with the slack and tightness on the kick down and finally just unhooked it from the throttle body and discovered it sticks super bad when pulled out. Almost have to push it back in to have it kick back down. Tried to spray some PB blaster into it to free it up but its not seeming to do any good. New cable and new pan gaskets are ordered. Will update with results asap! In the meantime check out my sweet door cards I made. I gotta mix in some fun projects to keep my sanity.

IMG_8583.jpg

UPDATE: New kick down cable in place. New oil strainer and new gasket gaskets installed. Put in about 7 quarts of synthetic fluid and let her warm up for about 30 minutes and was right on the money. Took her for a spin and shifted perfectly in every way. Continued on for about a 45 minute drive up and down the Cleveland national forest and put her through the paces. Checked Fluid roadside and was a hair high but might just leave it because it was like having a new tranny again. Thanks everyone for all the input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom