FJ62 On-road Off-road Performance is Jekyl and Hyde (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While everyone is bitching about how doggy their 3FE is..... :p You could advance your timing beyond factory (back it off a touch if it gets to the point of pinging at part load on the highway), and if you have access to mounted stock sized tires, give em a try for s***s and giggles. There's other things too, but they cost more.

Last edited:
Mine was acting as you described yours. I adjusted the kickdown cable and it made a huge difference! I would highly recommend playing with that first before budgeting for a $10000 drivetrain job. These 25 year old trucks aren't perfect but they do still work pretty good when they're in capable hands.

You can buy a v8 FJ60/62 (already swapped in) for way less than you have been quoted on the swaps. I sold a super nice FJ60 with 3" lift on 35's, full vinyl interior, bumpers, winch, ARB lockers in both diffs and FJ62 gears, Ramjet v8 (400hp) and it had the 4spd but with a Ranger OD box in front of it giving me an 8spd. I sold the truck for under $12k. I have seen many here on Mud in the $10-20k range with everything from a boring 350TBI to a awesome 6L v8.

I have had a number of v8 Land Cruisers and in my opinion, nothing is better except maybe a real nice diesel swap. I like them so much I won't really drive a Cruiser with anything else. I am currently DD a 2000 100-series and I like it but it is not as good as the v8 swapped FJ60 and FJ80's I have had.

Cheers

Hi, I'd check the kick down cable first as suggested.we drive a 1988,1989,1991 all similar drive trains. When our 1991 slowed down,acted up, it was our transfer case that needed rebuilding. It was just worn out. Mike
That's interesting, but I don't understand what role the transfer case plays in highway driving. Could you explain? The off-road 4wd driving in my cruiser is strong so I never even considered the transfer case. Thanks

Mine was acting as you described yours. I adjusted the kickdown cable and it made a huge difference! I would highly recommend playing with that first before budgeting for a $10000 drivetrain job. These 25 year old trucks aren't perfect but they do still work pretty good when they're in capable hands.
Thanks, there are so many here who suspect the kickdown cable that I will get on that the next chance I get. As for now I have started driving it manually around town, shifting to second when coming to a stop, and it has made a big difference. I have always driven it manually when climbing a grade (lots of that in CO) and that works well also.
As a side note on performance I once saw an image of the power/torque curve and the peak for both is way up there in rpm, like 3k+ if I remember correctly. So down where I drive 1800-2500 there would be much less Hp. Nature of the beast :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom