fj62 off-road, how? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everybody,
last week I went on a 6 day tour in Serbia with my FJ62, first time off road. (if you are interested here the link: General Tire Trophy | Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/571989362930043 ).
I had a lot of fun and I was amazed by the traction, amazing how well he can move.
What left me with doubts is how to use the automatic gearbox.
If I select 3, he tries to keep the highest gear with low revs, on the contrary, the engine is unable to increase revs and in this way he has a hard time moving forward, while if I select the lowest gear he overcomes the hills very easily.
Is it normal that this is the case?
To be able to use the automatic transmission off-road, what changes would need to be made? Separate radiator for example?

Hello everybody,
last week I went on a 6 day tour in Serbia with my FJ62, first time off road. (if you are interested here the link: General Tire Trophy | Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/571989362930043 ).
I had a lot of fun and I was amazed by the traction, amazing how well he can move.
What left me with doubts is how to use the automatic gearbox.
If I select 3, he tries to keep the highest gear with low revs, on the contrary, the engine is unable to increase revs and in this way he has a hard time moving forward, while if I select the lowest gear he overcomes the hills very easily.
Is it normal that this is the case?
To be able to use the automatic transmission off-road, what changes would need to be made? Separate radiator for example?
Its not a very advanced transmission compared to those produced today which have all sorts of off road modes. These older transmissions typically try to get to the highest gear they can as they are pretty much optimized for road driving. For offroad you pretty much have to force it to stay in the lower gear by moving the selector to the lower gear position. I am sure the Mud 62 gurus will chime in with more specific tricks for the trans. but if you were going to do a lot of offroad and want to stay automatic you'd probably be better with newer trans comversion.

Have you checked you kick down cable adjustment? If adjusted properly it should drop a gear depending on throttle position.

yes. I adjusted the cable, in my opinion it is correct.
I had read something about the changes to be made but I can't find the tread anymore.
I don't want to do extreme off-roading, but I don't want to break the automatic gearbox.
I seem to remember that in some positions the oil does not circulate and it gets very hot, ruining the clutches.
On this tour the oil temperature light did not come on, even though the weather was very hot

Stock A440F should be just fine off-road. You can treat the transmission as a manual of sorts if you don’t like how the “D”, drive setting is behaving. Just shift between 1,2,3 manually. I believe if you select 2 it will only stay in second gear, it won’t downshift to 1st when you slow down. Since it’s a hydraulically controlled transmission it can also be sensitive, and shift wired, if the fluid level is not right.
A additional fluid cooler is always a good thing for these old autos. Good insurance against overheating. :)

Simply put, high gear 3rd is for horsepower or highway speeds. 1st gear is for torque or
lower speeds. Common problem people have is the desire to go from slow to fast and back to slow.
Automatics generally allow max torque on initial acceleration, as you accelerate away. Off-road it has
to be treated differently. So put it in 1st and refrain from trying to drive away. Transmission cooler will
really help.
If you really want to pursue more off-road perhaps an aftermarket gear set with lower low range.
You need moderate mechanical skills for the rebuild, but it’s certainly worthwhile to consider.

so i used the automatic gearbox correctly, i selected the low gear which was fine.
I'll put a separate radiator for oil cooling
I would like to fit 35 "tires with 4.56 bevel gears.

so i used the automatic gearbox correctly, i selected the low gear which was fine.

Helpful threads for the cooler install

Does your current radiator have transmission cooling lines attached to it now? I’ve only owned 2 cars
in my whole life with automatics so my impression is to say yes yours should but possibly not.
Cooling transmission fluid is really important so if no, then I’d recommend installing an aftermarket
transmission cooling radiator. Also, keep up on transmission maintenance, if you are shifting gears
and working it hard off road, regular flushing and whatever else is needed is just wise.

Does your current radiator have transmission cooling lines attached to it now? I’ve only owned 2 cars
in my whole life with automatics so my impression is to say yes yours should but possibly not.
Cooling transmission fluid is really important so if no, then I’d recommend installing an aftermarket
transmission cooling radiator. Also, keep up on transmission maintenance, if you are shifting gears
and working it hard off road, regular flushing and whatever else is needed is just wise.
If it's a factory radiator it should. The additional cooler should be ran first and then to the factory radiator for the trans cooler there.

Stock A440F should be just fine off-road. You can treat the transmission as a manual of sorts if you don’t like how the “D”, drive setting is behaving. Just shift between 1,2,3 manually. I believe if you select 2 it will only stay in second gear, it won’t downshift to 1st when you slow down. Since it’s a hydraulically controlled transmission it can also be sensitive, and shift wired, if the fluid level is not right.
A additional fluid cooler is always a good thing for these old autos. Good insurance against overheating. :)
The operation of the automatic transmission when selecting the various "gears" would be explained in the owners manual. However, I can't find one on line. I have attached some information from the service manual which is a little more detailed...

D: should shift automatically 1-->2-->3-->OD-->3-->2--1 as required by vehicle speed and load.
3: should shift automatically 1-->2-->3-->2--1. should not shift into OD
2: will remain in 2. will not shift into either 1 or 3. This is used in situation where you want to minimize torque applied to wheels upon, like when starting on snow or ice.
L: will remain in 1. used for low speed high torque situations. You will also get the most effect from engine braking.

Attachments

• automatic Transmission in vehicle tests.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 43
The operation of the automatic transmission when selecting the various "gears" would be explained in the owners manual. However, I can't find one on line. I have attached some information from the service manual which is a little more detailed...

D: should shift automatically 1-->2-->3-->OD-->3-->2--1 as required by vehicle speed and load.
3: should shift automatically 1-->2-->3-->2--1. should not shift into OD
2: will remain in 2. will not shift into either 1 or 3. This is used in situation where you want to minimize torque applied to wheels upon, like when starting on snow or ice.
L: will remain in 1. used for low speed high torque situations. You will also get the most effect from engine braking.
Didn't know that about 2nd gear. Thanks for the info, I'll have to keep that in the back of the brain.

yes, very interesting, good to know.
I will definitely install a separate radiator

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom