FJ62 OEM inline 6pack, worth keeping?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After another day driving around Fayetteville AR,, on steep city streets, this rig is a monster!! No worries at all it will push 33's with ease. While it's not fast, which I didn't expect or find important for my needs, I can now feel the torque. Torque in spades baby!!!! It feels like it wants to climb a brick wall!! Like I said, mean as heck!!!

Question. At a rolling stop, when I hit the 4H button, the T-case gears grind in a meaningful way. just for a half second. At a full stop, no issues at all. Also, at a rolling stop, disengaging the 4H, nada. No grinding, no sound, no videration at all. Is the gear grinding at 5-10 MPH expected, or should I avoid this by just coming to a full stop. This point doesn't affect me at all or the way I will use the rig. But, given all the drivetrain work, I want this sucker to behave as it should.

Shouldn't be engaging 4 hi while moving unless the front hubs are locked otherwise your are grinding gears in the t-case, plus you shouldn't engage 4wd on a paved surface.

Shouldn't be engaging 4 hi while moving unless the front hubs are locked otherwise your are grinding gears in the t-case, plus you shouldn't engage 4wd on a paved surface.
Texas size 10-4. But why? With the hubs in the unlocked position, there is much less stress on the forward T-Case gears. Unless the unlocked hubs equate to a variation in rotation rate between the front and back hub diff's, I assume unlocked hubs would reduce friction / alignment in gear mating. Or, maybe the hubs being locked keep the forward T-case gears in motion, allowing them to syce more readily??

Also, can you explain the paved surface point. This is counterintuitive to gear mating. Just curious.

Thanks!!!

Texas size 10-4. But why? With the hubs in the unlocked position, there is much less stress on the forward T-Case gears. Unless the unlocked hubs equate to a variation in rotation rate between the front and back hub diff's, I assume unlocked hubs would reduce friction / alignment in gear mating. Or, maybe the hubs being locked keep the forward T-case gears in motion, allowing them to syce more readily??

Also, can you explain the paved surface point. This is counterintuitive to gear mating. Just curious.

Thanks!!!

With hubs locked the axles, front diff, and driveshaft are turning at same speed as rear components so the gears in the t-case that mesh to provide 4WD are turning at same speed and when shifting into 4WD no grinding.

Driving on a high traction surface in 4WD will lead to gear binding because the front and rear tires cannot slip when there are differences between tire rotations.

With hubs locked the axles, front diff, and driveshaft are turning at same speed as rear components so the gears in the t-case that mesh to provide 4WD are turning at same speed and when shifting into 4WD no grinding.

Driving on a high traction surface in 4WD will lead to gear binding because the front and rear tires cannot slip when there are differences between tire rotations.
Leaning more and more everyday. Both points fully understood. Thanks for the education Godwin!!

Given all the work that has gone into trouble shooting, I believe I now have a VERY refreshed daily driver, and a super solid base to expand on. It sounds like the T-Case is working as is should, great to hear!!!!

Lots and lots of interior and exterior refurbishing to do now that this rig drives like a BOSS!! I'll post as I go!

IH8'er 4-life!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom