FJ62 Not cranking! (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright my expert gentlemen, the ole FJ62 has power, i.e., instrument panel lights up, radio comes on, headlights, etc., and the battery is literally brand new, but the darn thing just won't crank over, and it happens randomly, meaning it doesn't always not crank over...most the time it cranks over when I turn the key. But sometimes I get nothing but a "click" and no engine crank! Any thoughts? Thanks my brothers!

Smack the starter with a hammer. The solenoid might be sticking. If that helped it start, replace the starter or try to rebuild it if you're feeling brave. New Toyota remanufacured starters aren't expensive.

Either it's the starter or the ignition switch. The hammer tap will tell you which one it is.

If the hammer doesn't work you may have loose battery wires. Check that the cables are tight at the battery and at the starter.

If you hear a "click" while trying to crank then it is definitely the solenoid sticking. I have had zero success with longevity of starter rebuilds meaning it is usually a bad solenoid (ie think it is calleda stator?). The rebuild contacts that are used are just meant to replace the copper contacts and copper plunger when they wear down.

So if you rebuild then make sure it's not the solenoid gone bad.

i recently rebuilt my starter - this is the parts list

ItemPart #QuantityAmount
Plunger Magnet Switch28235-350801$28.55
Starter Kit28226-720101$12.91
Starter Kit28226-720801$16.19
Subtotal
$57.65
Shipping (USPS)
$12.00
Total
$69.65

i had some warning - turned the key and would get the classic click click click. stop - turn the key again and it catches and cranks over fine and starts.

pulling the starter is a 30 minute job - take it apart - clean everything and put back together with above parts - 30 minutes or so.... you're back up and running in just a couple hours max - you feel good about it and get to claim "I DID A THING" clarkson style.

if you're not getting that classic clickety click first - could be something other than starter ( wiring from battery to the starter? - ignition switch? rusty ground?)

keep us posted.

Thanks my gents! But I replaced the starter last year, and my old man strongly believes it's the coil that's getting too hot and shorting out... He says he had the same issue with his old rides from the 60s...what can I do?!

🔨...
I got a brand new starter from Napa last year and found one of the 4 bolts that hold the starter together had come loose inside the starter and burned the bolt in half. Just because it’s new...er doesn’t mean the starter is good.
C361A6E0-1EDF-45AF-8AE2-98F5ECE6C5F9.jpeg

5FB748E7-B266-40C9-96DA-05A55CE3F687.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeh @Hojack , turns out I found the receipt for the starter and it's two years old, so I'll be looking at that as well, when I get the chance. Thanks man!

Make sure it’s in park! My shifter linkage was loose. It would look like it was in park when it really wasn’t. A firm push up for the click would allow it to start again. Just a thought.

Make sure it’s in park! My shifter linkage was loose. It would look like it was in park when it really wasn’t. A firm push up for the click would allow it to start again. Just a thought.
Also make sure the signal wire is firmly attached to the starter

Sounds like corroded battery cables, ground cables or the contacts in the starter solenoid. I'd start by cleaning all the cables at the battery, make sure all the grounds are good. Once you are confident your connections are good open up the solenoid. They are very easy to rebuild. you can usually clean the contacts with a file to get by for a while but they are cheap so just replace them. In my many years of wrenching i have only come by one bad starter, it is usually the contacts in the solenoid.

Is it in Drive (or anything else but park?)?. The Shift lock has been broken on... all of mine, so I have to double check that I'm in park. Just a thought.

Oops, just saw red66toy's response, glad I'm not the only one!

A 2 year old starter. Is that a Toyota OEM new 2 year old starter or your favorite local rebranded lifetime warranty starter?

I had stater issues for years. I tried rebuilding and all sorts of dumb stuff. When I replaced with an OEM Denso starter it has been night and day difference.

Thanks to y'all for all the input. The FJ62 is cranking over and I've done absolutely nothing different. Who knows?! @Randy88FJ62 , thanks for the mention of the OEM Denso, I was about to buy a new a/c compressor and saw the Denso brand, but didn't know it was OEM to the Toyota. I also wanted to ask y'all fellas if y'all recommend any brand of wiring loom because my headlights are so dim, I might as well be driving without them! thanks to y'all always being a big help!

I had stater issues for years. I tried rebuilding and all sorts of dumb stuff. When I replaced with an OEM Denso starter it has been night and day difference.

This has been my experience as well. Folks balk at the cost of Re-man'd Densos. If you like replacing starters, buy the cheap stuff. If you want a starter that lasts another 20-30 with no hassles, the Denso Re-Man'd is how you do it. HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom