FJ62 Neutral safety switch post H55 swap question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EscapeWagon62

SILVER Star
Threads
My 62 has been converted to H55.
I previously had a kill switch installed using the NSS which I disconnected while chasing down some other gremlins.
now that the gremlins are gone I wanted to hook up the kill switch again.

My specific question is (and those that follow my build thread know that I’m a 0/100 on electrical stuff:

When my switch is “on” the car starts. Is there any need to return the switch to “off” once its running or is leaving it “on” fine? The car runs fine either way, just don’t know if leaving NSS powered with switch “on” if it causes some overheated wires or other issue.

Thx.

what circuit does your kill switch interrupt?

what circuit does your kill switch interrupt?
Hello Matt!
I guess mine wouldn’t be considered a true kill switch, more of a NSS disconnect switch.
When I did the H55 swap, I followed what others have done by simply connecting the positive/negative wires off the neutral safety switch for the A440F. That way it assumed it was park or neutral and allows me to start the engine with the H55. All worked fine.
When putting in a kill switch I simply put the switch in between those wires (extended so the switch is in the cab of the truck). All worked fine with this as well.
Does that give you enough info?
Appreciate your time.

Last edited:
Hello Matt!
I guess mine wouldn’t be considered a true kill switch, more of a NSS disconnect switch.
When I did the H55 swap, I followed what others have done by simply connecting the positive/negative wires off the neutral safety switch for the A440F. That way it assumed it was park or neutral and allows me to start the engine with the H55. All worked fine.
When putting in a kill switch I simply put the switch in between those wires (extended so the switch is in the cab of the truck). All worked fine with this as well.
Appreciate your time.

i would ask the FJ62 / H55F GURU @cruisermatt ............

he is all wise and knowing here .......

Hello Matt!
Appreciate your time.

The NSS is a single circuit - it is just the starter trigger wire (+12v when cranking only, no negative).

No relevance to anything once the engine is running - it doesn't have voltage unless the key is turned to the crank postion.

This is the way a regular manual-transmission 60 is wired, they have no form of clutch/neutral safety at all.

The NSS is a single circuit - it is just the starter trigger wire (+12v when cranking only, no negative).

No relevance to anything once the engine is running - it doesn't have voltage unless the key is turned to the crank postion.

This is the way a regular manual-transmission 60 is wired, they have no form of clutch/neutral safety at all.
Gracias amigo.

If you wanted to use it as a clutch safety switch you could probably find a clutch switch from another vehicle and install it behind your clutch pedal arm and run the wires to it. This way when your wife jumps in there to start the truck for you when your standing in front of the engine working on it, she doesn't run you over. LOL. FYI...I always stand to the side.

If you wanted to use it as a clutch safety switch you could probably find a clutch switch from another vehicle and install it behind your clutch pedal arm and run the wires to it. This way when your wife jumps in there to start the truck for you when your standing in front of the engine working on it, she doesn't run you over. LOL. FYI...I always stand to the side.
Considered that but chose a cheap and cheerful semi-kill switch option running to an OEM switch in the cab.
Plus…..I never thought about allowing my wife to drive the rig 😀.

No need for a clutch safety switch, plus you'd reduce the flexibility of the 60 series unless you also had a means to deactivate the safety switch. No roll starting if you have a dead battery, no walking the Cruiser a short distance using only the starter, no starting in gear if you loose your clutch master or slave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom