FJ62 MAF (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fzj80 1997

SILVER Star
Threads
My Fj62 has a cold hard starting issue where it will idle like crap for a minute if you don’t touch the gas pedal. If you start it then give the gas pedal a stab, the idle will immediately settle down and be smooth. We cleaned the cold start injector and the problem persists. My mechanic thinks that it’s the MAF or vaf meter as some call it. My question is, which ones will fit on the fj62? I’ve seen some people saying the 93 camry will work. Will one for a 1fz or fj80 work as well? Thanks!

My Fj62 has a cold hard starting issue where it will idle like crap for a minute if you don’t touch the gas pedal. If you start it then give the gas pedal a stab, the idle will immediately settle down and be smooth. We cleaned the cold start injector and the problem persists. My mechanic thinks that it’s the MAF or vaf meter as some call it. My question is, which ones will fit on the fj62? I’ve seen some people saying the 93 camry will work. Will one for a 1fz or fj80 work as well? Thanks!
Before you go replacing it, try testing it as stated in the FSM. 80 series unit will not work.

As @red66toy stated, meter it out via the FSM.

I’ll disagree about the 80 series MAF, I’ve run an 80 series one in a 62 driving across 3 states and it was fine.

If you end up needing one, let me know. I think I have a spare lying around.

I’ll disagree about the 80 series MAF, I’ve run an 80 series one in a 62 driving across 3 states and it was fine.

That would be awesome. I’ll send you a PM now. Is the MAF you were using from a 3fe 80 or 1fz 80?

I meant the 1FZ 80 series one wont work, I am guessing you are running the 91-92 3FE 80 series version?

I meant the 1FZ 80 series one wont work, I am guessing you are running the 91-92 3FE 80 series version?

Correct, I should have specified. It was a 3FE 80. @red66toy is correct, a 1FZ MAF will not work.

There was a Mudder a few years back who was experimenting with replacing the 3FE's AFM (air flow meter) with an actual MAF sensor with the goal of less restriction in the intake airflow at that one point. He had gotten it pretty close to dialed in but before he could finalize his installation, a freak electrical fire totaled his truck and the tons of work he had put into it. Since that happened I had gotten my degree in electronics engineering, and occasionally I've pondered attempting to design a conversion after I finish the other projects I've got going (still working on finalizing my solid state voltage regulator and then find a reliable method of restoring 60/62 series front blower motors that will be more reliable than the aftermarket garbage).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom