FJ62 - loose front end -recommendations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi there - we just brought home an '89 FJ62 and she's beautiful but the front end is loose. I'm going to start on the knuckles but is there any other mods anyone would recommend to tighten up the steering? ie a sway bar or stabiliizer? Also, I'd like to consider a modest lift/suspension kit with shocks and leafs - maybe 2" or 2.5". Any recommendations are appreciated.

89 fj62.jpg

welcome down this rabbit hole but i'm sorry, alice has left. :flipoff2:
yup, do your knuckles, replace any joints in the steering linkage i.e. tie rod ends, replace any suspect suspension bushings, make sure the spring u-bolts are secure. i believe that in the FSM there is instruction on how to adjust/tighten the steering box. that's what i would start with before you start modifying. good luck

welcome down this rabbit hole but i'm sorry, alice has left. :flipoff2:
yup, do your knuckles, replace any joints in the steering linkage i.e. tie rod ends, replace any suspect suspension bushings, make sure the spring u-bolts are secure. i believe that in the FSM there is instruction on how to adjust/tighten the steering box. that's what i would start with before you start modifying. good luck
thankyou Sir!

i can't help you on suspension kits though, all my $h!t has basturd leaf packs of various manufacture mixed n matched till it works the way i want it to.

Just as a FYI, the steering on these vehicles is vague by design and the steering wheel spec for free play is something like 1-1/2". When comparing a 60 series to a normal car that has rack & pinion steering, the cruiser steers like a bait barge.
Granted, your steering gear could be a bit loose, but even when brand new, these trucks never had precious steering

Just as a FYI, the steering on these vehicles is vague by design and the steering wheel spec for free play is something like 1-1/2". When comparing a 60 series to a normal car that has rack & pinion steering, the cruiser steers like a bait barge.
Granted, your steering gear could be a bit loose, but even when brand new, these trucks never had precious steering
roger that...i'm not looking for perfection just know its' way looser than the spec calls for. I'm new to LC"s but likely my tie rods and bushings need to be replaced.

Likely your steering damper is shot and your tie rod ends might need replacing. Shocks and shock bushings are probably worn and the leaf springs could be tired.

Start with getting under it as someone else steers it.

look for sloppy movements,

i bet spring bushings ,tie rods, and stabilizer

pump some grease into your knuckles, usually your knuckles are fine unless in lots of mud and water. Yours has never seen mud.

I always like to hear a little more description what the problem is. does it track straight? does it bump steer? does the steering chatter on rough roads.

Of course you will want to make sure all the joints are in good working order, and if questionable, replace them.

1626130742610.png

My steering was sloppy as all get out when I first got my truck. Driving it home upon purchase was an adventure. After knuckle job including new wheel bearings, steering damper, TREs, springs and bushings, its right as rain now. Never touched the steering box. The order of parts going on revealed that the thing that made the biggest improvement were the new springs and bushings. Truck no longer eats tires and is a dream to drive. It will never be a modern truck, but you can get it pretty close to one. I agree some detail on just what's wrong here would be helpful to dial in a solution. Does the truck wander around the road at speed? Are the tires wearing funny? Any popping sounds when you turn the wheels while stopped. You can have a helper turn the steering wheel while you get under the truck and look for movement in the U-bolts holding the springs on. See if they shift at all while the wheels are turned. If they do you can tighten those up (if they aren't rusted locked). Looks like yours has the stock suspension with no doubt equally worn out bushings. I bet you would see vast improvement by simply getting an OME setup on it with new shackles and bushings. HTH.

hi there - we just brought home an '89 FJ62 and she's beautiful but the front end is loose. I'm going to start on the knuckles but is there any other mods anyone would recommend to tighten up the steering? ie a sway bar or stabiliizer? Also, I'd like to consider a modest lift/suspension kit with shocks and leafs - maybe 2" or 2.5". Any recommendations are appreciated.

View attachment 2715776
a follow up here on my loose end. I ended up replacing a broken drag link end and installing a 2" lift kit from JackiT which included 4 shocks, 4 lift springs, a steering damper and ubolts etc. Its made a huge difference in ride quality and tighter steering. Many thanks to all who provided feedback.

I agree with tie rod ends and steering damper. The tie rods will get so loose that the front end cannot be aligned. Whoever does your alignments can identify that. That's your sign that they are part of the problem. Also a gentle tightening of the power steering. Replacing the aged OME steering damper made the most improvement.

Last edited:
a follow up here on my loose end. I ended up replacing a broken drag link end and installing a 2" lift kit from JackiT which included 4 shocks, 4 lift springs, a steering damper and ubolts etc. Its made a huge difference in ride quality and tighter steering. Many thanks to all who provided feedback.
good to hear you got $h!t squared away. by broken, i assume you mean hogged out way beyond acceptable/safe.
Jackit, they're the outfit that sells parts from numerous manufactures to make up their kits correct? or do they have their own stuff now? just curious

good to hear you got $h!t squared away. by broken, i assume you mean hogged out way beyond acceptable/safe.
Jackit, they're the outfit that sells parts from numerous manufactures to make up their kits correct? or do they have their own stuff now? just curious
Yes, Jackit.com is where I purchased my 2" ARB lift/suspension kit. It was a snap to install. I also installed a drag link replacement kit - shout out to Cruiser Outfitters who helped with that. Also, just installed my ARB roof rack from Cruiser Corps. Picture attached. Thanks again to everyone who chimed in to help me get this rig squared away. Its been a fun project. Next up is an interior refresh - our front seats are punched out - new springs and foam should help.

89 FJ 62.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom