FJ62 light upgrade, which H4/H1 housing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to do the light upgrade on a FJ62 but see soooo many H4 and H1 housings made by different manufacturers.. Which one is most common and of superior quality?
Bosch
Hella
Cibie
IPF

Hope I got those right!

Last edited:
I have hella glass housings and they seem good. No comparison to the others though.

I can't speak directly of the square H4 housings, but in the round ones I have used Hella, IPF, and Cibie. They were all very good, but the Cibie were (IMHO) the best.

i had hellas with high wattage bulbs. they lasted about three years. i just bought cibies from daniel stern lighting. i like them fine. i can’t really tell the difference. just hope they last longer. honestly by the time i have bought an upgraded harness (which you should do if going h4/h1) and the two housings and the different bulbs i wish i had just bought jw speaker LED lights. id only be a couple hundred bucks out and i think the LED would last longer. i do like the more normal look of the halogens but from a function perspective the LEDs seem a better light.

I've gotta agree: the JW Speakers are expensive but completely worth it. I have a pair of Trucklites in my other 60 series 4 headlight rig, and I am contemplating selling the Trucklites for another pair of Speakers.

Big money but incredible safety upgrade. The adapter harness is easy to make, honestly. Don't be scared of LEDs for that reason.

I've gotta agree: the JW Speakers are expensive but completely worth it. I have a pair of Trucklites in my other 60 series 4 headlight rig, and I am contemplating selling the Trucklites for another pair of Speakers.

Big money but incredible safety upgrade. The adapter harness is easy to make, honestly. Don't be scared of LEDs for that reason.

How are the JW Speakers compared to non-led lights though? I thought the halogen conversion/upgrade gives the best light and looks relatively normal as compared to the LED and the bulbs are cheap... That JW is $$$ and if a rock hits it or it burns out, that would mean a new one? I thought I had it figured out and dammit, now I am getting the vibe that those JW's are the way to go..... :)

For me, it might be the best money I ever spent on my trucks. Driving the standard halogens at night and in the rain was downright dangerous.

The look is decidedly non-vintage, but to me, the additional safety of having modern headlights in a non-ABS, 30-year-old truck that I drive my kids in and daily drive is a no brainer for me.

For me, it might be the best money I ever spent on my trucks. Driving the standard halogens at night and in the rain was downright dangerous.

The look is decidedly non-vintage, but to me, the additional safety of having modern headlights in a non-ABS, 30-year-old truck that I drive my kids in and daily drive is a no brainer for me.

Did you ever see/upgrade/use the h4 and h1 housings withe the more powerful bulbs and upgraded harness? That is the direction I was going in...

JW Speaker is the best there is. They are bright without brilliance and the cut off line is sharp. The LED saves needing a large gauge harness so, on a 62, that's $200+ which can go to lights instead of wires.

I have a different 62 with heavy equipment Hella housings, bulbs, and harness. They are very good too and I have no complaints compared to sealed beam. Price is likely the decision maker. $300-350 for a full set of Hella H1,H4's. $900 for heated JW Speaker's.

Pretty hard to beat this pricing for this 62 low beam. It comes with the bulb.

They will prefer to ship bulbs via USPS rather than UPS; less breakage.

Last edited:
Did you ever see/upgrade/use the h4 and h1 housings withe the more powerful bulbs and upgraded harness? That is the direction I was going in...

that is what i’ve done and the light output is not bad. my problem is that the housings only lasted two years. by the time i’d done the upgrade and two sets of lenses they weren’t far off the speaker cost!

the speaker lights are lexan plastic from my understanding so stand up to rocks better than the glass. please correct me if i’m wrong those that have them!

Last edited:
Egads, 4 JWs cost about 1k for 4 plus the harness? The h4 and h1 route with harness goes about $450 ish? What is the lumen difference if anyone knows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom