FJ62 Leaky Transfer case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an '89 FJ62 that is leaking gear oil from the center gasket. The transfer case bolts were loose so I torqued them back to specs but the leak is still there.

Any advice on fixing this leak with the transfer case on the truck would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis
Anchorage AK

Splitting the case, is that a big job? I have the tools and jacks, just don't want to get the case apart and not be able to get it back together.

Thanks

T-case fixing is not so big job but removing and reinstalling t-case is big job.
If you have correct equipment(tranny jack) it's makes job ease.

Its not all that bad. Get a FSM then post up for 1st hand info.

Blue62 said:
Splitting the case, is that a big job? I have the tools and jacks, just don't want to get the case apart and not be able to get it back together.

Thanks

No-you can likely do this with the t-case in the truck. While it's apart replace as many of the other gaskets and seals that you can. Thinking about it, you probably could do a full case rebuild under the truck, but be very careful lining the hi-lo shift fork actuater back up.

The very first thing I would do though, is figure out exactly what is leaking, since there are about 357 potential leak ponts that would be more likely than the central case gasket.

Thanks Lads.

Still doing my homework, I'll post a picture of the leak, but I am 99.999% sure the center gasket is leaking.

I have the 1989 FJ Factory Repair manual and after reading through the procedures I am planning to go as far as step 12.

Will I have to drop the cross member in order to let the tranny sag a bit so that I can get to the rear case bolts.

~Cheers

If all you are going to do is change that gasket, then it's a small, easy job. You might want to order new stake nuts for the tranny output and t-case rear output shafts in case you can't reuse the ones on there. And since you're doing that, you may as well order new gaskets and seal for them as well.

Tim
88 fj62 TLCA

Success

Finally got the leak fixed. Turns out the center gasket had failed. Weird?? ANy how I ended up replacing all the gaskets and rubber bits...had a bit of trouble finding some o rings but other than that a pretty straight forward repair.

Thanks for all your input and advice.

Cheers,
Dennis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom