FJ62 Kickdown Cable Adjustment Measurement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I recently purchased a new kickdown cable on my FJ62 as the old one had snapped but it doesn't have any of the markings for adjustment. It's an OEM cable but came bare. I was wondering if someone could measure the distance from the end at the throttle body cable side to the adjustment mark. I figure I can use a paint pen to mark it for any future adjustments.

from the 84-90 body and chassis manual:

1616536953243.png

The same basic measurements will work for the kickdown.
That being said, I found that a little trial and error worked best.
Set as per the diagram, drive truck. If it upshifts too fast, add a turn or two of tension.
If it shifts at too high an RPM or shifts are jerkey/rough....loosen a couple of turns.

It took me a few tries to dial it in where I wanted it.
You aren’t going to do any damage playing with it.

Oh wait. Isn't that the throttle cable though?
I don't own an FJ62, so I don't know. This is from the Automatic Transmission section of the manual, and other sections describe this cable connecting to the valve body. But maybe you are right.

In the parts diagrams, in the transmission section you can find the throttle cable, in the body section you find the acceleration control cable.

Last edited:
I adjusted mine by pulling the throttle wide open, then adjusting the cable so it pulled the valve almost completely to the end of it's travel. Now mine shifts late and harder, like a good auto should, not early and loose like it's trying to slip the clutches. You might not like it though, if you want one that hits high gear at 20 mph and you don't feel the shifts.

Ok. I've read a couple of stories about misadjusted kickdown cables killing transmissions... maybe there was some coincidence there.

Mine shifts and drives nicely now. Feels way better than before. If there is no worrying about killing the transmission I think I'll leave it alone.

Basically I adjusted it so that it's not super tight but if you push on the cable lightly it moves about 1/16 inch to the side. Whatever that means :p

Thanks for all the help! Much appreciated!

So after speaking with a few cruiser shops I found out you CAN kill your transmission with an improperly adjusted kickdown cable. It regulates the pressure of the transmission fluid and a misadjusted one could cause the clutch packs to not have enough fluid and lead to premature failure. Just a heads up for everyone.

So after speaking with a few cruiser shops I found out you CAN kill your transmission with an improperly adjusted kickdown cable. It regulates the pressure of the transmission fluid and a misadjusted one could cause the clutch packs to not have enough fluid and lead to premature failure. Just a heads up for everyone.
Running it for long periods yes
Not in the short amount of time while your are trying to dial in your preferred tension was what I was referring to.
Sorry for the confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom