fj62 interior screw and bolt color - bronze? dark green? or just black? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my apologies first for being color blind .....

looking for a color code or color name for the visible interior bolts and screws such as the two on the instrument cluster

but also seem to be the same as the paint color for the seat bracket to floor as well as others throughout

thanks

I’ve only seen three colors of fasteners on a land cruiser: Shiny silver color plated, shiny gold color plated, and black oxide. (Black).

then i guess black it must be...

*attached pics this time of dash screw and console screws (and others elsewhere)

IMG-5955.jpg

IMG-5954.jpg

Yes those are all black oxide finish.
I wasn’t able to find those big black screws at Toyota anymore. They have a new part number and the new screw is silver and has a blunt tip.

They must still use black screws on some vehicle, but I couldn’t find them. A black sharpie marker pen can make the head of the screw black again and it lasts a long time.

To me the seat bolts look sort of dark olive bronze.

These were cleaned with soapy water before reinstalling. Still could be cleaned up a bit more…

Grey interior
AD9D933E-0C98-467A-AEE3-A431DD6192F1.jpeg

@911nFJ60 is correct...these screws are definitely not black. Here is a picture of my screws (1988 FJ62) adjacent to a brand new OEM instrument bezel before painting and then after painting. It doesn't quite have the same amount of green, but I think the Rustoleum Metallic "Flat Soft Iron" is a pretty close match and is compatible with the bezel color. FYI, the closest match to the bezel color is Rustoleum Metallic "Oil Rubbed Bronze", which is what you should use if you want them to be less conspicuous.

The first two pictures are before painting. The screw on the right is the "flat iron" color. I'll post a later picture in comparison to the original after these dry.

IMG_0048.jpeg

IMG_0049.jpeg

IMG_0055.jpeg

IMG_0052.jpeg

Hmmm...a side by side picture shows the difference between the original (first pic) and newly painted "flat soft iron". No disrespect to father Toyota, but I kinda like my color better.

IMG_0048.jpeg

IMG_0066.jpeg

Thanks to all - I might still be in search of a green to mimic the original (if i go that way) BUT .... at least i know now that it IS some sort of "dark olive bronze" and that my color blindness at least in this case is not getting the best of me.

I'm afraid that the purist in me is leaning toward the idea that if i'm going to go through the effort - i might as well get the color as close to original as friggin possible.

Thanks to all - I might still be in search of a green to mimic the original (if i go that way) BUT .... at least i know now that it IS some sort of "dark olive bronze" and that my color blindness at least in this case is not getting the best of me.

I'm afraid that the purist in me is leaning toward the idea that if i'm going to go through the effort - i might as well get the color as close to original as friggin possible.
You're the man. Let us know if/when you find the OEM color. BTW, I was thinking there may be a way of electroplating the screws instead of simply painting them?

Excellent chance CruiserDan knew off the top of his head

Still searching .....so far the dark olive rattle cans available are all flat finish (for camo uses) and although custom orders have a $25 set up fee on top of purchase price, I'll likely just do it.

There are some land rover colors that are close and there's this and others in the immediate family :

Tiger Drylac ™ 049/52870
RAL 6006
RGB: 55 54 43
HEX: #37362B

Capture.JPG

After reading up a little on electroplating, I'm guessing that the greenish color that you see is a chromate coating on the top of zinc plated screws. The idea is to add an extra level of corrosion resistance? I tried, but couldn't really find a sample-size batch for sale that might allow you to re-dip the heads of the screws, but it would be hit-or-miss for getting the same color as OeM regardless. Still, that would be really satisfying if you could manage, eh?

It's just a little bit of trivalent chromium in a solution of sulphuric acid...dip 5 minutes and let it chemically do its thing.

I think you've nailed it with the electroplating idea here.

It does make sense that this is plated rather then painted - because for some of the bolts to hold up so well for so long

It turns out that my green bolts are not the same shade as other folks here - so getting exact isn't really possible anyway

My approach therefore is to go with Toyota "blackish green 6L2" with the black pigment reduced about 10% and the green increased 10%.

(unless Jonathan from TLC4x4 gets back to me and shares his secret restoration knowledge)

***** this color sample does NOT appear on my screen as black as you will likely find on your own on the web*****

blackish green.png

Zinc chromate is nasty stuff. It was used to protect aluminum from oxidation. Whatever Toyota used in the 80’s is likely no longer viable because of environmental regulations. I’m not certain what most of these bolts and screws are made with but I certainly am in the camp of believing it’s a plating/chemical finishing process not too dissimilar to chemically blued steel.

The slightly greenish tint to those bolts may have not been intentional. Hard to imagine them setting up a dedicated plating station back then for the 8 obscure bolts that are on the floor that nobody sees.

The slightly greenish tint to those bolts may have not been intentional. Hard to imagine them setting up a dedicated plating station back then for the 8 obscure bolts that are on the floor that nobody sees.
I agree. They may have turned green over the years. Or it may have been a chemical process that was cheaper but is not regularly used anymore. If @ToyotaMatt was around I bet he may have some ideas around it. Perhaps they took yellow zinc plated bolts and treated them to make them “black” to hide in the dash and they have a green tint because of the standard yellow zinc they used on everything. I dunno… I’m spitballing at this point.

Just dug a little bit into zinc plating. It seems that these may just be a dark olive drab zinc chromate plating. Here’s a kit you can buy to DYI.

Here’s a box full of dark olive zinc bolts. Apparently Yamaha used them on motorcycles too.
18B0AF94-32D2-4F31-9D8F-0381DBF0B6FF.png

Last edited:
Cool info on the olive green plating. Just as it appears that we all have a slightly different shade of green at this point, I'll bet the timing and ratios and other variables involved in the plating process are mind boggling - and knowing when you are dark enough but not too dark is kinda nuts.

Plus, my bolts seem to have some bronze and i'm not convinced that i achieved that yet with the paint, but at least the green is my green. AND, it apparently isn't the right green for 911nFJ60 as his seems much lighter (fade?)

I should add before this thread dies...... the 6L2 paint has a tiny bit of "aluminum flake" in the mix and that needs to be LEFT OUT entirely.

I noticed the instrument panel screws are still available with the same part number. I've got a feeling that @OSS is right that these aren't made the same any longer, but I think I'll drop by my local Toyota dealer and order a few just to check. That's cheaper than spending 189 quid on an electroplate kit.

If you do go the painting route, I'd put a satin or semi-gloss clear on top because these definitely aren't matte like the olive drab that's on military vehicles.

Good luck @rcke with your restoration.

is this screw P/N 90164-50008 as listed above?
Yes...if you click on the link and then scroll down to other images you'll see the FJ62 Instrument cluster/dash part diagram and it shows this as the part number for that exact screw. I've been waiting to order some other items since shipping is free from Passport with orders over $75, so I wasn't able to confirm that the plating on this "replacement" OEM screw is the same as original. Seems like @rcke or @OSS mentioned that these are not the same...but I couldn't say for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom