FJ62 In Gear Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
;p Hi boys and girls.

I've got a strange whirring/rattling noise that is really noticeable when I'm at a stop but in any gear. If I shift into N or P, the noise abates, although, now, I'm starting to hear it a little bit in the latter modes. The sound, it seems, comes from one of the pulleys in the front bottom left side.

What is the best way to check if it is indeed the pulleys? Or if not, any other suggestions?

Thank you ;p

Are you running the AC when you hear the noise? If so does the noise go away when you turn off the AC?

By lower left do you mean Driver Side (DS) or Passenger side (PS)? The Alternator is on the DS down low and it could make a rattling noise if the bearings are going out but I have not seen that happen. If it is on the PS down low it could be the same thing happening to the AC compressor but turning off the AC will tell for sure.

Are the alternator and AC compressor original equipment (OE) that came on the truck? If not are they aftermarket or OE replacements?

Aftermarket alternators could certainly have shot bearings within a few miles of installation.

The smog pump is high on the DS and have been known to go out after a few hundred thousand miles. How many miles are on your truck?

What part of the country do you live in? There might be someone close who can take a look. You might also join the 3FE list at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/3FE

It is specific to the FJ62 and the early FJ80's with the 3FE engine and there is loads of information in the files section. You can also search the 3FE archives at www.birfield.com

Dunbar

Dunbar said:
Are you running the AC when you hear the noise? If so does the noise go away when you turn off the AC?

By lower left do you mean Driver Side (DS) or Passenger side (PS)? The Alternator is on the DS down low and it could make a rattling noise if the bearings are going out but I have not seen that happen. If it is on the PS down low it could be the same thing happening to the AC compressor but turning off the AC will tell for sure.

Are the alternator and AC compressor original equipment (OE) that came on the truck? If not are they aftermarket or OE replacements?

Aftermarket alternators could certainly have shot bearings within a few miles of installation.

The smog pump is high on the DS and have been known to go out after a few hundred thousand miles. How many miles are on your truck?

What part of the country do you live in? There might be someone close who can take a look. You might also join the 3FE list at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/3FE

It is specific to the FJ62 and the early FJ80's with the 3FE engine and there is loads of information in the files section. You can also search the 3FE archives at www.birfield.com

Dunbar

Dunbar:

Thanks for the reply.

It seems to be lower Driver's Side. I can't seem to pinpoint it but it seems loudest from that side.

The A/C is not on when this happens.

It could be the smog pump or alternator I guess. Do you think the wd-40 trick can be used to diagnose? (light spray on pulley while engine running to eliminate squeek/rattle).

I'm out in the soCal area. So far, I've not found a really reliable FJ62 mech. I've been using a local wrench who has little experience on these trucks except mine. However, he at least is thorough and tries his best.

I have 289,500 miles on my truck and the alternator and smog pump look OEM but do not know when they were replaced. What happens if the smog pump went out while I was say, 200 miles down in Mexico? :grinpimp:

Dunbar:

Thanks for turning me on to 3FE thread in yahoo.

Solution! Short story, the nut securing the alternator to the main mount had
worked its way loose, allowing the alternator to vibrate. Once
secured, it is purring now.

Thank you very much guys!
Hansel
TLCA#: 14757

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom