FJ62 Ignition and Steering Locked

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello!

This is my first time posting, and I hope I'm putting this in the correct place..

I've got a '90 62 which is all locked up. I should mention that I got a new key cut from key code, then had a new ignition cylinder keyed from the new key. It worked like a charm... Until tonight. My ignition was the first to lock up. I tried moving the steering and turning the key to see if I could get it to come free, to no avail. I checked to make sure it was in park, several times. My father thought he could do it, so he got in and jiggled the wheel and key, did "something", and the steering wheel locked up as well. I have tried everything I can think of, and I'm out of ideas.

If someone could give me any guidance, that would be very greatly appreciated! I kind of need the 62 for transportation, since my other option is a motorcycle, and the weather isn't going to be too great the next few days..

Almost thinking I should call a locksmith.

Almost like the security feature has gone amiss?

Almost like the security feature has gone amiss?
Correct. I don't believe I bumped anything earlier to cause a lock out. I had driven it all day no issues. I've never had anything like this happen, nor the previous owner who had it 20 years. :confused:

My 60 locks up sometimes with the original key. Try putting key in cylinder turning it as far as it goes while turning wheel further in locked direction and push down on button on top of column. Working the wheel on mine helps to unlock the column.

My 60 locks up sometimes with the original key. Try putting key in cylinder turning it as far as it goes while turning wheel further in locked direction and push down on button on top of column. Working the wheel on mine helps to unlock the column.
Unfortunately, I tried this many times without luck. I had my father trying the key while I moved the wheel and hit the button. I even tried my original key just for giggles.

A little dry lube wouldn't hurt, but probably won't do anything immediately to unstick it.

Mine sticks occasionally, and no amount of wiggling or jiggling the key and steering wheel helps, but taking the key out and reinserting it rapidly seems to work every time. No idea if that will help, but its doesn't cost anything to try.

A little dry lube wouldn't hurt, but probably won't do anything immediately to unstick it.

Mine sticks occasionally, and no amount of wiggling or jiggling the key and steering wheel helps, but taking the key out and reinserting it rapidly seems to work every time. No idea if that will help, but its doesn't cost anything to try.
Huh, never thought of that. I'll be sure to try that when I get home.

Is it in park?

Perhaps jack up the front end to relieve any stress in the wheels/steering mechanism.

I think there is a spray to thaw locks available, or use a hairdryer.

I have come to the conclusion that there is something wrong with the lock cylinder. For it to become stuck like it has, and being so new, something has to have gone amiss inside. So I'll be drilling it out and replacing it. Hoping this will actually fix the issue, instead of me throwing more money at it for nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom