FJ62 High Pitch Whine coming from transmission. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
theewhitemouse.tumblr.com
I have a new noise that appears to be coming from my transmission. High pitched while accelerating in all gears including neutral park and reverse. Noise stops while letting off the accelerator but will appear if downshifting into lower gear at speed. The transmission has been my second largest problem and it likes to burn fluid. That being said just after my last camping trip I changed the fluid, filter and gasket and rodney'd it. Shifts fantastic. Lots of power and has actually never driven better...but the whine sounds bad. Also a faint new/bad smell after driving it...not the burnt transmission fluid smell which i know very well. Also doesnt make the sounds when its cold. Only once its warmed up a little. When I pull my throttle out a bit and take a listen in park...it is definitely coming from the transmission housing area where it butts to the engine. Not the pan area. Thoughts? suggestions? I searched a lot and came up with mostly manual tranny threads. Hoping to get an automatic owners insight. Video with noise here:

Hi, Can honestly say I've never had one sound like that.Have you gone through the service manual diagnostics ? Mike

You know mine had that same whine just before the transmission completely failed. Nothing I did could save it. Currently in the process of swapping in the 5 speed. Rebuilding the A440 just didn't give me a feeling of confidence.

Ok well Ive gone down the line of drain, flush, new filter and refill. Had it going for a day or two and then on easter morning she bought her first tow ever. Lost pretty much 2 3 and 4 on the free way. I can still get it in and out of my garage in 1st and reverse. Anyone in orange county california recommend a good place to have the transmission either rebuilt or replaced? I have the shop manual and have the time and brain to possibly to it myself...is it worth tackling in terms of how much work and misc SST's I might need? looks pretty gnarly.

If you could find a way to do the 5 speed swap now instead of rebuilding the 440 I don't think you would ever regret that decision. Even when you factor in the additional cost.
It changes it into a whole different truck.

If you could find a way to do the 5 speed swap now instead of rebuilding the 440 I don't think you would ever regret that decision. Even when you factor in the additional cost.
It changes it into a whole different truck.
yeah thats the dream build for me as well and have been reading about it alot lately.

got to be a used transmission you can pick up on here. check the classifieds for parting out. I would not waste money rebuilding. Eithet find used or go H55F.

It sounds like the ATF pump in your transmission is starved for fluid. I think it's attached to the torque converter which is why the sound increases as the engine revs.

Well mine is pretty much doing this exact thing. Did you ever determine what the actual problem was?

@wrc3 - Ended up on the side of the freeway on easter Sunday of 19. I am terrible at following up on here. Ended up ordering the 5 speed H55F and a pallet of parts from @cruiserparts and dropping that dead beast. I cant tell you exactly what it was but it did finally go bye bye. My truck is now the best version of herself shes ever been with the manual 5 speed. The hype is real! - also get the big tranny jack from HF...the little one almost killed me.

53A09366-43BF-48F0-B4F7-A925E00BC48E_1_105_c.jpeg

E149F14A-C250-468C-B8AA-32A081D47504_1_105_c.jpeg

Challenge accepted! Ok going to drain, rodney, filter change etc etc and will see if it does anything. Ill respond with the results.

How does one rodney a transmission?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom