FJ62 headlights problem (electrical?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.geocities.com
Here is a good one.

My headlights are out. High beams work but no low beams. They both went out at the same time which is unusual. Something is up.

Back story:

The muffler on my FJ62 developed a hole. It is currently being replaced but during the time I was running the truck for a couple of months with the muffler hole.. the sucker rattled and vibrated underneath like you read about.

The radio went blank due to the interference caused when I accelerated in the truck. If I turned the defrost on full blast it canceled out the interference and the radio worked normally.

I noticed lately that the voltage reading on the dash for the battery was up to as high as it can go. Very odd.

Now my headlights (low beams) are out and the voltage reading for the battery on the dash is back to normal.

Anyone have a clue? Did I vibrate something loose? Or did I cause some sort of electrical interference? The voltage reading scenario is weird.

I haven't had the chance to look at it yet as it is in the shop for the muffler replacement. I figured I should do that first.

thanks

That is a strange story. It is a stretch to think that the muffler is related to the electrical problems. If your voltage went way up, that is a Voltage Regulator problem. The voltage regulator is integral in the alternator. The voltage spiking way up will burn out lights, as well as other electronics, so getting that fixed is a higher priority than the muffler.

Well..I never had any such problem with the electronics until the vibratiing muffler. And I mean that sucker was rattling and humming but good.

Somehow I think the resonant frequency screwed up my radio and maybe somehow shorted out or blanked out my lights.

I'm hoping the lights will work when I get it back... but I just doubt it.

The wiring diagram shows that the same headlight relay is used for low and high beams. It also shows that the low/high right side and left side are on the same fuse. Therefore it can be either a switch problem, or a ground problem--but I would start with trouble shooting switch.

Of course it is prudent to first check to make sure that both your low beam filaments didn't go at the same time--could you have been running with just one low beam for a while and not noticed until the second one went?
headlight troubleshooting.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom