Fj62 H55 swap question regarding cross member (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EscapeWagon62

SILVER Star
Threads
Figured I’d see if anyone has successfully used an early FJ60 cross member 81/82/83 mated to a 3f bell housing In their swap.
i am aware that the preferred path is to use a late model (flat vs V) cross member since the 3F bell housing rotates the transmission position by 3 degrees or so.
I already have the bell housing and early model cross member and insulator all prettied up.
Ive also ordered a later model insulator but I’m having trouble finding a later model 85/86/87 cross member.

Question for the gurus.....is it possible to modify the mounting brackets on an early model cross member to account for the 3 degree tilt caused by the 3f bell housing, has anyone done it, and if so any photos?

Any help appreciated.

if using an early crossmember use the early bellhousing
3F bellhousing needs the 1 piece crossmember
no mixing and matching
the 3F bellhousing rotates the transmision several degrees clockwise, the 1 piece crossmember is matched to that.

just reread your post, I think if dropping the passenger side bracket down only the 2 top bolts would be attached to the frame rail, the isolators are different between the 2 crossmembers

did you try posting a wanted thread in the classifieds for the crossmember?

if using an early crossmember use the early bellhousing
3F bellhousing needs the 1 piece crossmember
no mixing and matching
the 3F bellhousing rotates the transmision several degrees clockwise, the 1 piece crossmember is matched to that.

just reread your post, I think if dropping the passenger side bracket down only the 2 top bolts would be attached to the frame rail, the isolators are different between the 2 crossmembers

did you try posting a wanted thread in the classifieds for the crossmember?
Thanks @3_puppies
Thats what I feared. I found one up a cruiserparts and will return the one I bought (de-rusted, primed and painted)
I’m glad I found out before build.
Thanks again and cheers

I'm pretty sure I was the first on MUD to post a H55F into FJ62 thread. I got a bit of info from someone who had a shop do it. Anyway, I got a 87' FJ60 cross member but it was going to be ugly trying to move the H440F mounts to match. We tried a plasma cutter but then decided to use an early FJ60 cross member. We used 1/2" plate steel welded to the frame to match the early unit and I have never removed it since. I have over 330k miles and I think the H55F went in at about 190k miles.

FJ62_H55F_Xmember 002.jpg

I'm pretty sure I was the first on MUD to post a H55F into FJ62 thread. I got a bit of info from someone who had a shop do it. Anyway, I got a 87' FJ60 cross member but it was going to be ugly trying to move the H440F mounts to match. We tried a plasma cutter but then decided to use an early FJ60 cross member. We used 1/2" plate steel welded to the frame to match the early unit and I have never removed it since. I have over 330k miles and I think the H55F went in at about 190k miles.

did you use the earlier bellhousing or the later 3F bellhousing?

Used bellhousing and other donor parts from an 87' FJ60.

@Dunbar I wanted to thank you since your original post is what gave me and the rest the courage to take this on.
I‘ll have two cross members and two isolators on hand. I’ll let my fabrication buddy chose a path.
I’ll return the parts don’t need

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom