FJ62 + H55 = Better Performance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have started manually shifting the auto in my FJ62 sometimes. If I hold each gear so that I rev to 3K-3.5K, the acceleration is so much better than mushing along with the auto tranny shifting at 2K. It is like having a completely different vehicle.

I now have no doubt that an H55 would make the FJ62 perform much better. I was planning on a V8 swap, but I might just keep the 3FE and put in an H55.

Andrew

Just food for thought but you sound like the perfect candidate for a modified valve body. When my A440F needed a rebuild I was really split between swapping in an H55F and keeping the auto. I kept the auto and was sure that I was going to regret it. I had the shop tune the valve body. I also had the stall in my torque converter bumped up a couple hundred rpm (I don't tow anything). It shifts harder and much better now. It's still an auto but a lot of the mushiness is gone. If I've got my foot in it it will rev to 3000-3300 rpms before it shifts.

Others have reported similar (very good) results with automatic transmissions' extreme A440F valve body. I hadn't heard of these guys when I did my valve body but I would get theirs if I had to do it again. If you're not planning on doing a manual swap for a while it might be worth looking into this. It might just change your mind about the A440 :)

Or, you could just adjust your kick down cable :rolleyes: Your truck shouldn't be shifting at 2k under strong acceleration.

I agree with Texx. I adjusted my kickdown cable yesterday as I like you liked the manual shifting performance better that the auto. Now I can even keep up with traffic from a stop light and it made a world of difference. Takes only minutes to do and the results in performance are finominal
Bill

Texx said:
Or, you could just adjust your kick down cable :rolleyes: Your truck shouldn't be shifting at 2k under strong acceleration.

Yep I agree. "Stong Acceleration" is the key. If I am just crusin' along mine will shift at 1.5 - 2K but if I am accelerating hard it won't shift until to reaches 3 - 4k (or more but I normally back off by then).

Last edited:
Ok I know this is a dead thread but I just bought a unit with the A440F after running nothing but H55s and I have to say that I was bummed halfway up the first mountain pass back home. As I'm an auto virgin, any wisdom as to how to adjust the kickdown cable would be appreciated

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom