FJ62 Fusible link (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have, or can anyone take a picture of their stock fusible link on the + battery terminal?

Mine has been spliced and I think I'm missing a link, but I can't for the life of me find an image of what the original looked like. The Monkey that had the truck before me wired in a big stereo, and had it wired right to the positive terminal. I think he replaced a link with a bolt style connector for his amp. I still have the big white one, and the smaller green connector, but there is a third one that basically has two bolt hole style leads, with a bolt and nut connecting them, no tape, nada. I think this is where the amp used to connect, but I ripped it out almost 6 years ago, and I can't remember.

Thanks

you should have a total of 5 fused links. there is a large round boby 3 pin connector that should have 3 fused links coming from the battery to the connector body. I want to say that these are .5 sq. mm(20) gauge fuse wire that have a large ring terminal on them that attach to the battery post. then there is the .75 sq. mm (18) gauge that feeds the EFI circuit(yellow wire from harness). this one should have a single pin round body connector that has the fuse wire from the connector to the battery post also with a large ring terminal. the big white wire lands across a bolted terminal block and it should have a plastic cover over the terminal block, but tape also would work fine. this one is the 1.25 sq. mm(i used 14 gauge fuse wire> 1.25 sq.mm is exactly 15 gauge, but good luck finding it at your FLAPS. toyota should still be able to get this for you IIRC. I built a new one using a weatherpac 6 port plug body(including a spare .5 and spare .75 circuit) for the (3X) 0.5 sq. mm and one .75 sq.mm circuits and then took my 14 gauge straight to the positive post from the bolty blocky thingy.....

I did away with the stock setup, as I felt it was a little mickey mouse on Toyota's part.

Does anyone have, or can anyone take a picture of their stock fusible link on the + battery terminal?

Mine has been spliced and I think I'm missing a link, but I can't for the life of me find an image of what the original looked like. The Monkey that had the truck before me wired in a big stereo, and had it wired right to the positive terminal. I think he replaced a link with a bolt style connector for his amp. I still have the big white one, and the smaller green connector, but there is a third one that basically has two bolt hole style leads, with a bolt and nut connecting them, no tape, nada. I think this is where the amp used to connect, but I ripped it out almost 6 years ago, and I can't remember.

Thanks
Fusible link-1.jpg

Well, based on that description, the white wire (Alternator?) could go strait to the terminal post? That's the one with the most splices on it, and I should have enough room to just crimp a new ring connector on. The other two, though poorly spliced, I could just redo, since they seem to be in the original configuration.

I agree that a complete upgrade would be in order, I just need to get this thing back on the road in the short term.

Thanks everyone.

I did away with the stock setup, as I felt it was a little mickey mouse on Toyota's part.

Damn that looks good. Wish mine was half that clean.

Is that a fuse box towards the back in the pic? From the looks of it, it looks like you did away with the factory fusible link but still used fusible link wire to connect the factory circuits to that distribution block. Is that correct?

Very prof. looking. The manual is picture poor on this. MIke

Yes, fusebox that supports my horns, headlights, electric fan and alarm.

Yes, I bought the correct size fusible link wire and used a blueSea SS bus bar.

When I bought the rig, the Toyota links were hanging on by very few strands.;)

Damn that looks good. Wish mine was half that clean.

Is that a fuse box towards the back in the pic? From the looks of it, it looks like you did away with the factory fusible link but still used fusible link wire to connect the factory circuits to that distribution block. Is that correct?
Fusible links-1.jpg

The way the wires hang leaves alot to be desired. Mike

Yes, fusebox that supports my horns, headlights, electric fan and alarm.

Yes, I bought the correct size fusible link wire and used a blueSea SS bus bar.

When I bought the rig, the Toyota links were hanging on by very few strands.;)

That is an awesome idea. Not gonna lie, I'm gonna have to copy that. Where'd you get the fusebox from? Be great if I could find one that'll support one 2ga circuit with a MAXI fuse so I can have my amp integrated into a box too.

Am I correct in assuming the two leads on your positive terminal are the starter and the feed for the fusebox (or is that feed going to the bus bar?)?

West marine, but Ebay would be cheaper.

The Orange wire from the battery post go's to a 120 amp braker mounted on the fender, then 2 gauge into the cab, for the amps.:D

Red to the FL and fusebox, and blue to the starter.

That is an awesome idea. Not gonna lie, I'm gonna have to copy that. Where'd you get the fusebox from? Be great if I could find one that'll support one 2ga circuit with a MAXI fuse so I can have my amp integrated into a box too.

Am I correct in assuming the two leads on your positive terminal are the starter and the feed for the fusebox (or is that feed going to the bus bar?)?
BlueSea Braker-1.jpg

Last edited:
West marine, but Ebay would be cheaper.

The Orange wire from the battery post go's to a 120 amp braker mounted on the fender, then 2 gauge into the cab, for the amps.:D

Red to the FL and fusebox, and blue to the starter.

Nice. So you have the red lead going first to the bus, which has the fusible links, then to the fusebox?

This is going to have to be one of the first projects I tackle for cleaning up the electrical in my 62. It's a MESS right by my battery.

@Benjaman Sorry to bump this but I was wondering what the rest of your charging setup is. Did you run directly from the alternator to bus bar? I am assuming you have an upgraded alternator. That is a sweet setup I am just curious and would like to know more about it if you care to share.

I have a whopping 12.6V coming from my alternator post on my 89 and am missing a FSlink and probably a slew of other s*** due to PO and have plenty gremlins to sort out so this is my top priority at the moment. My hood looks like an electricians scrap pile

I just went thru the ringer with my alternator. and it did turn out to be the alternator.... last Feb I had one go out. Bought a used AM and took the rebuilt OEM in to be rerebuilt. a week later, they charged me 165 bucks and said ALL GOOD. Stoked, I wrapped it and shelfed it till 3 weeks ago, when the used one died. Slapped in my ace-in-the-hole rerebuilt OEM and NOTHING...12.6 volts at idle and decaying output as the loads were applied. Rebuild shop told me to yank it and bring it back, but it is my DD and it still got me to work and back-barely. I dropped in an Oreilys china unit after having it tested by the rebuild shop. Back to good volts! I'll say this, the oreilys test bench said my alt was good, putting out 13.6 volts, with their lower limit being 13.5. They could NOT read output current. When tested at the rebuild shop, they got 12.8 volts and next to NO amps. Not all test benches are equal.... the rebuild shop said that they can't get the windings anymore, but made it good by buying me a new 90 amp fj80 alternator(also made in china). Long story, I know, but just get a new alt and make sure to charge your battery before firing up the rig. RnR the fuse links and you should be back in business.

Thanks @LAMBCRUSHER for the info. I was planning on getting a new one. My reason to bump this is because I think the alternator wire is a bit small and looks to go everywhere rather then right to the + terminal with a large fuse in-line. Any thoughts on adding a shortcut wire from alternator to + terminal while leaving the existing wire to run around the bay and most likely interior wiring looms (fused of course)?

I do want to improve the wiring and was reading up on alternatives to fusible links. I understand that there is a reason for everything in regards to why OEM would use those over something else, but I do think that it can be done and should be if I upgrade to a larger AMP output alternator.

I have thought about literally rewiring the whole damn truck with my own distribution/relay/fuse panel and upgrading the alternator. For now though, I think there is no harm in leaving the current wiring intact as long as I at least replace the fusible link with OEM, or store bought, or even an in line fuse. but I may add a shortcut 4 gauge wire from the alternator to the + terminal which needs replacing anyway. My battery is good and I have the small battery tender unit and I also have a Schumacher larger 2,10,50 Amp charger as well so I will charge it up completely.

Anybody have any further thoughts or concerns feel free to flame me or support my thought about adding a shortcut fused charging wire.

Thanks, its awesome finally owning one of these, and I love doing the work on them too.

View attachment 604309
I am fabricating a MIDI fuse block to replace my fusible links and am trying to figure out where to mount it. @Benjaman, how did you mount the BlueSea block? It looks like it is attached on the forward edge to the air cleaner bracket. I was concerned about the hinge spring coming down there.

Thanks
Hey Man I gotta 89 Fj62 too An Have same Question U Posted. My Fusible Links are Fine Great System Fer Me Fer 12 years!! I Gotta Ask Did U Ever Get Ah Pic of all the Fusible Links?? Is It Just Me Ir Gettin ah Picture of The Original FBlinks Setup Top Secret?? No One Has pics?? The Upgrade pics on here are Great. But I don't want ur need ta Upgrade!! Im just Tryin Ta Get Pics Of Normal Off The Lot OEM Pictures!? Thank ya Fer Any help ya can send

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom