FJ62 Fuel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ocho77

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.op-art.guru
I have the "cranks but won't start" issue. I have spark, so I know it's fuel. Pulled the inside rear quarter panel cover and had about 3 inches of water and 2 inches of caked mud in there. Cleaned it all up. I know it's either the wiring in the back or the EFI relay.

Check engine light comes on with the key but the fuel gauge won't move from E.

Question1: Could that be the EFI relay, or is it definitely the plug in the back? Which I can't get to come apart.

Question 2: There is a blade connector back there that was not connected and I cannot find what that powers.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue, found gallons of water that was in the quarter panel for probably years, as soon as the contacts were exposed to air they corroded to the point I gave up cleaning and replaced the connectors. If you have a multi-meter you can check for power at this connector at least (should be able to probe from terminals from the back if I recall correctly), you can pull the fuel sender panel and check for power to that as well since the fuel pump and fuel sender share that connector in the quarter panel although different pins but might be related to the needle not moving

I doubt it's the EFI relay for what it's worth, I can't hear mine click when it turns on but it works fine.

Pulled the inside rear quarter panel cover and had about 3 inches of water and 2 inches of caked mud in there.

I presume you left out the lowest rubber plug and cleared the hole, so that future water can find its way out? I have done this on all my 60 series and had the same water-in-the-quarter issue.

Jump 12v directly to the pump and see if the truck starts. If it does you’ve ruled out the fuel pump and can find the disconnect in the wiring

Undid the fuel filter banjo bolt and had the wife crank. No fuel.
Jumped FP and +B and had the wife crank, and no luck.
While those were jumpered, I went to the back of the truck and did not hear the fuel pump come on.

None of the plugs were sitting in the water in the quarter panel, they are all tied up nicely by the tail light, but I still think that is where the problem lies. I can't remember, but when turned to accessory, does the fuel gauge move, or does it not move until the truck is started? My fuel gauge does not move, which makes me believe it's the wiring in the back.

Any pictures of the specific plug?

Fp and +B jumped bypasses the relay. It does not solve the wiring issue you seem to have the rear quarter panel. You also state that the sending unit gauge shows empty so this is a second sign that your wiring in the rear quarter panel needs some love.

Not tryna be a dick. Eliminate silly stuff first. The tank is in E. Did you make sure there's gas in the tank?

Not tryna be a dick. Eliminate silly stuff first. The tank is in E. Did you make sure there's gas in the tank?
Yes, the tank is full.

Fp and +B jumped bypasses the relay. It does not solve the wiring issue you seem to have the rear quarter panel. You also state that the sending unit gauge shows empty so this is a second sign that your wiring in the rear quarter panel needs some love.
That’s what I thought, I’m pretty sure it’s the rear quarter panel wiring. I’m stumped because there were no plugs sitting in the water, they are all zip tied up near the rear light. There are multiple plugs back there. Just trying to figure out which plug I need to look at and what wire I need to trace.

Well, I got it running. The wires from the fuel pump and the wires from the gauge had all come disconnected. They were put together with butt splices and taped, and had pulled apart. I butt spliced them again until I can get a plug installed.
Thanks to this forum for all the knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom