FJ62 Fuel tank recall (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I check the status of the Fuel Tank recall my FJ62, it says the recall was completed on 05/07/1992, but the servicing dealer (one which serviced most of the services) said told me that the tank is old and not the updated one.

The issue that the dealer where the recall was done is no longer in existence and Toyota does not have any records from 1992

How does one confirm if the tank and other parts are newer ones and not the original ones that came out of factory

The tank for a 62 is different than for a 60. I mention this as 62 tanks have been NLA for quite a while. If your tank isn’t leaking - roll with it. You other options are finding a used tank or switching to an aftermarket long range tank.

The tank for a 62 is different than for a 60. I mention this as 62 tanks have been NLA for quite a while. If your tank isn’t leaking - roll with it. You other options are finding a used tank or switching to an aftermarket long range tank.
I’m pretty sure there are a few dozen tanks floating around still.

I was going by a post @Onur had made in reference to inventory. 60 tanks are out there. 62 are NLA?

62 uses an in tank pump. The 60 tank doesn’t have a provision for this.
My question is, is there a way to differentiate between the new and old design (recall fix version)?

5A0E07DB-5D04-462D-A999-80F3684C6F65.jpeg

says “Affix SSC completion label on the specified place”, does anyone know where that label is affixed?

I was going by a post @Onur had made in reference to inventory. 60 tanks are out there. 62 are NLA?

62 uses an in tank pump. The 60 tank doesn’t have a provision for this.
You’re right

60 and 62 tanks arr different and 62 are NLA

not in size or shape, only difference is the opening for the in tank fuel pump.
hypothetically you could get a new 60 tank, plug the pick up and return line and transfer over the in tank fuel pump mount.
other option would be to get a 60 tank and use an external fuel pump

but with either option above the long range tank isn't that much more nut you lose the spare tire mount

not in size or shape, only difference is the opening for the in tank fuel pump.
hypothetically you could get a new 60 tank, plug the pick up and return line and transfer over the in tank fuel pump mount.
other option would be to get a 60 tank and use an external fuel pump

but with either option above the long range tank isn't that much more nut you lose the spare tire mount
All this i know. To me the long range tank would be the better option no modifying the oem tank and no external fuel pump. I make an adapter ring for the 62 tank that bolts to the 62 tank in the oem spot where the fuel pump module goes to fit an aftermarket market fuel pump module bolts in no modifying but not the otherway around.

I am taking the truck in for verification. Apparently the field application technical support person from Toyota will inspect and confirm if the tank is new design or old design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom