FJ62 Fuel Smell in cabin after sitting...any ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am having what appears to be a pretty common issue with my FJ62. When the truck is parked a fuel odor builds up in the cabin. I cant seem to find the source. Whats interesting is, as soon as I start it, whether I drive anywhere or not, the smell clears out.

I pulled the passenger side access panel off in the trunk it seems like the smell could be coming from there. The Filler neck looks new, and the soft lines also look new. The compartment was dry, with no signs of rust.

I have not tried to trouble shoot the charcoal canister yet. Does this sound like the likely issue?

I always like to run issues by you guys first in the event that this is a quick/common fix...

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Charcoal canister? I have a 60 and recently gut and refilled it and replaced some degraded hose. Prior to doing it my gas gap had a big whoosh upon being opened, now nada whoosh nor smell.

Swap the lines on the charcoal canister. (temporary fix)
Verify the gas cap is venting.
Make sure the gastank recall was performed.
Hth

Swap the lines.... I distinctly swear I read a sarcastic comment from JimC that doing that could cause a big boom? And on my truck the purge line is disconnected from the evap at the driver fender so it would have been useless.

There is also that possibility that there is fuel coming out of the fuel neck near the gas door. I had a similar issue when my tank wasn't venting properly and it would get some fuel in the cavity between the cargo door card and the fender. The gas would sit at the bottom of the fender until it fully evaporated leaving the heavy smell of gas in the truck.

I contacted Toyota dealer a while back to inquire about gas tank recall. Tank was swapped in 1992....

What is a solid method for testing the gas cap is venting?

Again, thanks for the input, it is invaluable.

I will check the fuel neck, but upon first examination it looked brand new. I'm thinking about having a smoke test done, is this worth it? Would it even work for this particular case, assuming it is the charcoal canister?

Cutting and replacing the innards of the canister was pretty easy. Search charcoal canister and you will find it. Only from I think Feb '16. I commented at the end. The charcoal I used was fairly large size pellets but it works. I also picked up aquarium filter fiber for the upper and lower sections. Getting the two halves together was the trickiest part. I used a thick piece of plastic (dog food bag) to hold the material in the base so I could flip it onto the top section. I used a dremal to cut and marked lines on the outside so I knew where it fit together prior to my cut. I also made a lip to jb putty inside one half so the two would lock together then jb putty'd the outer cut.

What caused the smell on mine was that the hard line going from the rear up to the charcoal canister was plugged. Working from both sides with WD-40, brake cleaner and compressed air cleared it out.

Havent had a chance to check out the hardline yet, but I suspect that may be the culprit. If it is rusted out or plugged, is there any reason it cant be clipped and replaced with a soft line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom