FJ62 fuel pump access (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've owned my 88 FJ62 for over 30 years. After replacing my fuel pump for the 3rd time last year, I made a solemn vow that, someday, I would cut out an access panel in the rear cargo to access the pump. I was able to change it out in the comfort of my garage, but a fuel pump change on the trail in the middle of nowhere by dropping the tank is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Yes, it's doable, but I thought there must be a better way.
Anyway, thanks to folks on this board that have modified the rear cargo floor for pump access I decided it was time. I can change the pump out anywhere in any weather. Don't even have to crawl under to disconnect lines.
Fuel pump access1.jpg

fuel pump access2.jpg

fuel pump access 3.jpg

fuel pump access7.jpg

fuel pump access8 .jpg

Nice job! I’m thinking about the same. Do you feel it’s taken away any structural rigidity in the floor?

Nice job! I’m thinking about the same. Do you feel it’s taken away any structural rigidity in the floor?
In my opinion, not really. I suppose a modification like this would be more critical in a unibody type vehicle, which this is not.
For peace of mind, I put a 2x4 across the frame rail, loosened the tank straps, and allowed the tank to drop about 2 inches to create some space
between the tank and the floor. I then slid a piece of .040 aluminum on the tank and cut the hole. Now that I've done all this work,
the pump will never fail again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom