FJ62 FSM charcoal canister check (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Found my FSMs, yay!

On EC-7 of the FSM, for the charcoal canister check, it says to blow "low pressure" compressed air into the tank pipe to test proper function of the check valve. I presume this is supposed to be just enough pressure to move the check valve ball when it's operating properly. My question is, what pressure should that be? My gas tank was getting pretty pressurized when the check valve failed (fortunately though none of the seams ruptured), so I'm going to try the Chemtool trick and see if I can free up the valve. Obviously I don't want to blow too much pressure into it and cause any damage, but if I can free it up and verify that it's functioning properly afterwards, that'd be great.

The next step in my FSM is for cleaning the filter (media?) in the canister using 43 psi air. I assume that's a safe pressure for the check valve test. I plan on trying to free up the check valves in my canister today.

That's what I had suspected too, but that still seems like it'd be more than what would be produced in the gas tank when running. I figured I'll start at 10 PSI and build up to the 43 as I try to free up the check valve.

I cut mine open and rebuilt it. There's a thread here on the process. Not hard to do and it took care of the pressurization I had in the tank.

20PSI was a good indicator it turned out. What's weird is that my canister behaved exactly opposite of what was described in the FSM. Like the ports on the top were mismarked or something. Hooked it up and fixed the vacuum lines that I hadn't realized I got mixed up some time in the past. Seems to be behaving just fine now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom