FJ62 Factory Anchor Points in Cargo Area? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just read that there are tie down points in the cargo area in the FJ62. For the life of me I don't see them in my 1988 FJ62. Can someone snap a pic of the location and what they look like?

Thanks

Robert

4 in each corner of the cargo area, perhaps they're under your carpet?

cargo.jpg

Last edited:
My 89's are the same as BG_TX's. The 87 FJ60 doesn't have them. Is it possible that there 62's that don't have them just like some don't have rear shoulder belts?

I'll have to look to see if mine has these. Just got an 88 fj62 last week. Have to figure out how to put two child seats in the back. If mine has those tie downs it would at least solve the problem of where to attach one of the straps.

mine only has lap belts in the rear.

Thanks for the pic. I have holes, but no hardware. Seems the PO may have removed these or they never existed in my rig. (FYI, my 88 did not have shoulder belts).

Can someone take a close up of them? As I have aftermarket carpet, I'd like to see what the factory looked like. Are they bolted down on top of the carpet or is there a "flap" or "hole" in the carpet to access these?

Thanks

Robert

The anchors are bolted to the floor and a slit cut in the carpet to allow access.

anchor.jpg

Thanks so much. One last question, are all the same as in your pic? I rather have complete loops instead of these open ones.
So if they are then I will get hardware somewhere besides from toyota.
Thx

Robert

Yes, all of them are partial loops (not complete loops).

Perfect timing, I've been trying to find mine for the last couple weeks, since I picked up my '89. I'll have to pull back the replacement carpet and see if they are under there. Thanks!

Has anyone found a stainless anchors that would look good on the outside of the carpet?

My plan is to mount L track on top of the carpet using the factory bolt holes. Haven’t gotten around to trying it though.

My plan is to mount L track on top of the carpet using the factory bolt holes. Haven’t gotten around to trying it though.

I would highly recommend NOT sandwiching compressible material when mounting an anchor point. It will greatly reduce the strength of the mounting.

The 60's bodies have holes for the factory anchors but do not have the welded nut. Toyota put a square of foil tape over the holes to keep water out.

The OEM open loops aren't very strong. Enough to put a bungy net over your groceries, not enough to anchor a tool box or drawer system.

Good to know, but what’s the suggestion. Whether Toyota drilled the hole or not what’s the alternative to bolting to floor. Or is just the carpet sandwich that’s the issue?

I was under the impression that 62s with the anchor did have a welded nut from another post.

My suggestion is about sandwiching the carpet. A flexing mount allows the bolt to pivot, which then puts more of the load in tension rather than in shear. Bolt to the floor with thick large diameter washers underneath. Aligning the track front to back is better than side to side. If you go side to side, use more fasteners, like every 3rd rib (less than a foot apart).

The rest was just FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom