1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FJ62 exhaust ??

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Sorry Dog, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Sorry Dog

Sorry Dog

Well... I blew up my stock muffler - literally- back tailpipe go clogged up with 6 inches of clay mud. So now I need another...fast because it's starting to melt the carpet directly above the blown muffler.

Anyway - I wouldn't normally switch out a good stock one for a flowmaster or blowmaster or whatever they call them now, but while I'm here I might as well improve a bit and re route the stock deal. A reasonable amount of added noise is OK.

So that is my question. Some folks have previously mentioned switching to a single high flow and 2.5" pipe. But what is the best way to route this? My 62 has 2 cats, one on each side of the frame rail and then the outer one crosses under the rail and they wye into each other. How can I delete this part? Where's the best spot for the O2 sensor? Should I get a header?-- I'll do that if the cost isn't too bad. Just would like to keep the total bill around $600 or less.

BTW- No smog testing here. (Da brothers wouldn't have nuttin ta drive then).

2. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    under $600? piece of cake.

I had a custom-bent cat-back system with a Dynomax Super Turbo installed in my 95 toyota pickup for under $200. 2.25" pipes. Quite smooooth.

Check Dynomax.com for pipe suggestions....too large and you'll lose torque. IIRC, 2.25 is max for the inline 6, but their chart will tell ya for sure.

Any local custom muffler shop can set you up for a good price...I'd guess in the $250 range. My setups have used stock hangers and other than larger diameter pipes and big sound, they look stock...

...outta see the TRUE dual 3" manifold back on my GMC 6.0....aftermarket cats, free flow mufflers....she's throaty :D

3. Sorry Dog

Sorry Dog

But what is the best way to route the pipe (from the dual outlet header) so as to go to one cat or more importantly not cross under the frame rail?

Thanks

BTW- found a temporary solution for the melting carpet - bag of ice :)