FJ62 exhaust options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good evening.

I am getting my newly acquired FJ62 restored and now I am down to the exhaust.

the truck came with the s***ty exhaust and my mechanic told me the current exhaust probably does not even for this truck. yes, the seller made all kinds of cheap fixes to fool me but the truck is getting back in shape . it is just s***ty loud now.

I want a descent aftermarket/performance exhaust . but I see they are hard to come by. I saw a guy from OTRAMM (if i spelled the name wrong) used to offer that.

please guide me to the right path.

I

Last edited:
Make a trip to local reputable exhuast shop. Get exactly what you want amd more than likely save some $$$

Good evening.

I am getting my newly acquired FJ62 restored and now I am down to the exhaust.

the truck came with the s***ty exhaust and my mechanic told me the current exhaust probably does not even for this truck. yes, the seller made all kinds of cheap fixes to fool me but the truck is getting back in shape . it is just s***ty loud now.

I want a descent aftermarket/performance exhaust . but I see they are hard to come by. I saw a guy from Ostram (if i spelled the name wrong) used to offer that.

please guide me to the right path.

I
OTRAMM is the shop in VA. Any reputable exhaust shop in NY should be able to do it, if not, they aren't reputable.

I dont know if you have the resources to weld, but i recently tackled my first exhaust in my driveway, and let me tell ya... you can get a FAR superior exhaust doing it yourself. Exhaust shops use mild steel and bend the tubing causing kinks all the way through. If you are able to build it yourslef you can use mandrel bends (not kinked) and butt weld everything. As far as the parts go, i would recommend you getting a High flow Cat, like a magnaflow or something, then a straight through style muffler such a borla or magnaflow. You can fit a 22 inch muffler in the stock location on a 60. The longer the muffler the quieter it will be. If you want a little more noise, go 18 inch. If you want less go 22. Definitely put a flex joint somewhere in the downpipe up close to where it connects to the manifold. My personal opinion is to stay as far away from chambered mufflers as possible. They are more raspy and the straight through design will have better flow. The Straight throughs are deeper sounding, slightly louder, and tend to drone more but thats what the resonator is there for. It will eliminate the drone and the higer frequency stuff leaving the lower frequency noise.

I am unsure on how loud you want the exhaust to be, i personally like a bit quieter exhaust. Look up Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator. IMO resonators are a must on exhausts. It will quiet it down a lot, but leave the deep tones there. An actual high quality resonator will make the difference of your truck sounding like a honda civic and actually sounding good imo since the straight 6 wont sound like a V8

If you dont care about the crimped bends and mild steel, just about any muffler shop can install this stuff for you. I dont think on a 2f or 3fe youre going to see much or any performance increase from mandrel bends, i just am nit picky on my stuff. Thankfully on the 60 and 62 the exhaust is suuuuper simple. It comes down out of the manifold, makes a like 45 ish degree bend and goes straight back. Theres TONS of room in the stock exhaust location, I did the resonator right before the 22 inch muffler and hung it on the stock mounts on the driver side.

This is all assuming that you want performance exhaust. If you want quiet, you could just toss a 22 inch OEM Walker replacement in there and be good to go. Definitely still use a Cat and resonator though.

Just my $0.02

Last edited:
For my '86 FJ60 build, with a 3FE engine transplant, I basically used everything from the single catalytic converter back from the FJ60, all OEM, including brackets and hangers. And I used the 3FE exhaust manifolds. I had a local independent muffler shop fabricate a single transition section with Y-pipe from the exhaust manifolds to the catalytic converter. They used my OEM oxygen sensors and FJ60 and FJ62 flanges.

I did install an H55f 5-speed, but I think the A440f automatic transmission is wider, so running the exhaust the way I did may not be possible.

I dont know if you have the resources to weld, but i recently tackled my first exhaust in my driveway, and let me tell ya... you can get a FAR superior exhaust doing it yourself. Exhaust shops use mild steel and bend the tubing causing kinks all the way through. If you are able to build it yourslef you can use mandrel bends (not kinked) and butt weld everything. As far as the parts go, i would recommend you getting a High flow Cat, like a magnaflow or something, then a straight through style muffler such a borla or magnaflow. You can fit a 22 inch muffler in the stock location on a 60. The longer the muffler the quieter it will be. If you want a little more noise, go 18 inch. If you want less go 22. Definitely put a flex joint somewhere in the downpipe up close to where it connects to the manifold. My personal opinion is to stay as far away from chambered mufflers as possible. They are more raspy and the straight through design will have better flow. The Straight throughs are deeper sounding, slightly louder, and tend to drone more but thats what the resonator is there for. It will eliminate the drone and the higer frequency stuff leaving the lower frequency noise.

I am unsure on how loud you want the exhaust to be, i personally like a bit quieter exhaust. Look up Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator. IMO resonators are a must on exhausts. It will quiet it down a lot, but leave the deep tones there. An actual high quality resonator will make the difference of your truck sounding like a honda civic and actually sounding good imo since the straight 6 wont sound like a V8

If you dont care about the crimped bends and mild steel, just about any muffler shop can install this stuff for you. I dont think on a 2f or 3fe youre going to see much or any performance increase from mandrel bends, i just am nit picky on my stuff. Thankfully on the 60 and 62 the exhaust is suuuuper simple. It comes down out of the manifold, makes a like 45 ish degree bend and goes straight back. Theres TONS of room in the stock exhaust location, I did the resonator right before the 22 inch muffler and hung it on the stock mounts on the driver side.

This is all assuming that you want performance exhaust. If you want quiet, you could just toss a 22 inch OEM Walker replacement in there and be good to go. Definitely still use a Cat and resonator though.

Just my $0.02
Good info. Can I ask where you sourced the parts and O2 sensor bungs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom