FJ62 door locks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a weird problem with my door locks. It might actually be two different problems:

1. The button in the driver's door only intermittently works. Sometimes I hear the relay (?) click and there's no action at the doors, other times there's no click at all. The exception is that every time there's a click, the tailgate lock actuates. The passenger doors do not. The passenger doors' locks are sometimes hard to pull by hand.

2. The passenger and tailgate key cylinders don't work. The key fits but it won't turn. I've changed out the tailgate lock to a different cylinder with matching key and it still didn't work. At least with the tailgate, I know it's not the mechanism itself, since the button in the driver's door card makes it unlock.

Thanks,

Ara Dileepan

These could be related - until your locks turn smoothly (by hand or key), neither the key nor the solenoid will operate them. I would remove and study the affected lock cylinders and see what it takes to make them operate smoothly. Perhaps I didn't totally understand the exact problem, but most 60 series issues are due to dirt and gunk buildup. You might take apart the master switch and see that the contacts are clean and in good order, too.

The driver's door switch is clean, I just took it apart, which is why I'm confused why I don't hear the relay every time. Maybe the connection is bad somewhere downstream of the master switch? But the tailgate works every time the relay does fire, so maybe 1) connection to the relay and 2) mechanisms in the passenger doors?

@ToyotaMatt

To get all your locks working as they should, then figure out what broken plastic bits need replace.

I have a weird problem with my door locks. It might actually be two different problems:

1. The button in the driver's door only intermittently works. Sometimes I hear the relay (?) click and there's no action at the doors, other times there's no click at all. The exception is that every time there's a click, the tailgate lock actuates. The passenger doors do not. The passenger doors' locks are sometimes hard to pull by hand.

2. The passenger and tailgate key cylinders don't work. The key fits but it won't turn. I've changed out the tailgate lock to a different cylinder with matching key and it still didn't work. At least with the tailgate, I know it's not the mechanism itself, since the button in the driver's door card makes it unlock.

Thanks,

Ara Dileepan

hello Ara , matt here

im a factory TOYOTA trained , and T-TEN certified Lock and Key Tech. circa. 1998

please let me know how i can possibly help here ?

please See the below TECH Video , it will help give you a better Jist on what i do and what is possible in the whole 60/62 Series

Lock and Key Topic , in particular , it's TECH focus is FJ62 Power Actuated Key Lock Cylinders NOT a older Manual only FJ60

PM me if i can assit further in any way , i keep good IN-STOCK of all 60/62 lock and key parts , including CODE CUT OEM factory keys on my SST code cutter...........

Fresh Cut OEM factory key blanks can solve alot of issues alone ............fyi

post photos of your current keys you are using , also does it pull out or fall out of your ignition easy in the ON position while driving ?

be very TECH> on this question and reply back any relivent details please

kindly matt :)

how did you change out the push button tail gate lock , yet still have a matching key to the rest of your current original key code locks ?

Please elaborate in detail here so i can better understand what all you have going on ?

Matt,

Thanks for the response. To your direct questions:

1. My key does fall out of my ignition.

2. When I swapped out the cylinder/push button on the rear hatch, I tested it with the key that came with that set (a complete set I got from a Mudder).

I don't quite know how you can help right now. I suppose I need to do some more diagnosing? I guess I should pull off the door cards and vapor barrier to examine what's happening in my doors.

Also, I have to admit to using graphite. I guess never again? I'll surely be more in touch once I have a sense of what's happening so that I can get this resolved. If I have power locks, I want to use them. I'd also LOVE to unlock the car from the passenger side.

Thanks,

Ara

Matt,

Thanks for the response. To your direct questions:

1. My key does fall out of my ignition.

2. When I swapped out the cylinder/push button on the rear hatch, I tested it with the key that came with that set (a complete set I got from a Mudder).

I don't quite know how you can help right now. I suppose I need to do some more diagnosing? I guess I should pull off the door cards and vapor barrier to examine what's happening in my doors.

Also, I have to admit to using graphite. I guess never again? I'll surely be more in touch once I have a sense of what's happening so that I can get this resolved. If I have power locks, I want to use them. I'd also LOVE to unlock the car from the passenger side.

Thanks,

Ara

if your current master keys or key will NOT rotate in either direction clockwise or couter clock wise in certain or all locks cylinders

this is a Mechanical issue between the Locks cylinders inside and your key you stick in the spring loaded shutter doors ...

its a huge RED FLAG when this same key you are no longer able to engage properly your lock cylinders in any way in some cases

as i understand your detailed tech. above outline also falls out and or simply pulls out , if you hit a bump in the road in a 60 /62

and your key simply gets ejected by this out the ignition lock cylinder ..........

well , i will be brutally honest that's the deal breaker , your original mechanical ignition lock cylinder has expired it life cycle and cannot be repaired in any practical way ...

its now a needed parts to replace with a NEW OEM TOYOTA genuine parts only brand new assy.

don't fret , the ignition lock cylinders are the easiest one on the entire truck to replace , and also the most basic one to RE-KEY RE-CODE to match the rest of your other locks as well

I have bought out several old skool lock smith shops whom were closing there doors for various reasons , most common is the son or daughter of the dad whom is the life long lock smith want nothing to do with his trade craft in any way , so that's the why so many have shut doors in recent history

Over the last few years i have and still do continue to scoop up anything vintage Toyota lock and key and have well ........

a TOP SECRET SKUNK WORKS inventory amount of FJ62 OEM TOYOTA Genuine Parts ignition locks cylinders to last a while 🦄

PM me when your ready to address these locks issues .....

thanks
matt

when it comes to repairing and restoring all your FJ62 lock and key blues ......the Sky it the only limit :D

- including NON-USA NOS Locking Gas genuine gas / diesel caps that are insanly heavy duty , and BOMB proof in every way , more then you can possibly
imagine

DSCN4498.JPG
DSCN4500.JPG
DSCN4475.JPG
DSCN4496.JPG

Thanks, Matt.

I should clarify: the key never pops out on its own or from a bump, but I can pull it out without turning the key. It just slides right out.

So if that needs to be replaced and can be made to match the rest, that's great. But what do I do to make sure a key works in the other cylinders? Is the first step to get the code front the passenger cylinder?

Thanks, Matt.

I should clarify: the key never pops out on its own or from a bump, but I can pull it out without turning the key. It just slides right out.

So if that needs to be replaced and can be made to match the rest, that's great. But what do I do to make sure a key works in the other cylinders? Is the first step to get the code front the passenger cylinder?

Yes ,

i would approach both topics at the same time , we need your factory code to re-key the bad ign lock , then you will have a fresh sharp true and crisp oem code cut sst key to determine more tech on all other locks issues

i will be very frank , i have seen many times simply a new code cut OEM Toyota key , solve many a issue like some of what you have going on ....

post a nice clear up close photos of your current key you have going on , a visual evaluation can tell me much too ....

here are a few of the little OEM Toyota FJ62 NOS IGN. Locks that were scooped up on a UNICORN Parts Hunter mission recently

DSCN4306.JPG
DSCN4307.JPG
DSCN4310.JPG
DSCN4314.JPG
DSCN4316.JPG

@ToyotaMatt

Here's what's going on in my tailgate: I push the button and it stays depressed.

PXL_20210707_232326843.jpg

When I open it up, I see that a snapring holds lock mechanism inside an outer cylinder.

PXL_20210707_232944951.jpg

As you can see in the following three pictures, the retaining lip doesn't have much for the snap ring to push against. Is it possible to get a replacement for the piece I'm holding below?

PXL_20210707_232705337.jpg

PXL_20210707_232711790.jpg

PXL_20210707_232731347.jpg

Thanks,

Ara D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom