FJ62 Differentials into 1980 HJ45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a FJ62 in Michigan fitted with ARB lockers that I would like to install in my 1980 HJ45 which is located in Costa Rica. Because of the expense and hassle of pulling and shipping the differentials to Costa Rica, I want to make sure that they will fit. The HJ has a semi-float rear axle as does the FJ62. I believe the axle shafts have the same spline count on both trucks but I'm not sure if the drive shaft flanges are compatible. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

no prob they will work
Dyno

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. Today I tested the compressor and the lockers to make sure everything worked. All was good. Tomorrow I will pull the differentials..

You will have to re-drill the flanges or swap them out for ones with the earlier pattern.

Okay, at the worst, swapping or re-drilling flanges. Thanks for the info.

I pulled both differentials and the front unit has 4 pinion gears while the rear only has 3. The location that would have the 4th pinion has the cutout that enables you to access the C-clips on the rear semi-float axle. Another reason to prefer a full-float axle.

You could get the correct d-line flanges from a vendor or most vendors have a multi drilled one that I would throw in the box when shipping to facilitate installation down south.

I have a FJ62 in Michigan fitted with ARB lockers that I would like to install in my 1980 HJ45 which is located in Costa Rica. Because of the expense and hassle of pulling and shipping the differentials to Costa Rica, I want to make sure that they will fit. The HJ has a semi-float rear axle as does the FJ62. I believe the axle shafts have the same spline count on both trucks but I'm not sure if the drive shaft flanges are compatible. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Hello Astr. I am just about to do exactly the same with my FJ62 and my HJ45, 1977. I have my ARB lockers in my FJ62 [only the rear ones]. I would greatly appreciate if you comment how did your installation go. Did you do the work in Costa Rica? Thank you very much for any advice.

Hello Astr. I am just about to do exactly the same with my FJ62 and my HJ45, 1977. I have my ARB lockers in my FJ62 [only the rear ones]. I would greatly appreciate if you comment how did your installation go. Did you do the work in Costa Rica? Thank you very much for any advice.
I arrived in Costa Rica about a month ago and my ARB lockers arrived here a few days ago so I have not had a chance to do the install. I probably won't begin the swap until December, the beginning of the dry season. I will post the results.

I arrived in Costa Rica about a month ago and my ARB lockers arrived here a few days ago so I have not had a chance to do the install. I probably won't begin the swap until December, the beginning of the dry season. I will post the results.
Thank you very much for your feedback and comments regarding the swap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom