Fj62 Desmog Kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the info. Did you have to mess with the PS pump to get tension or was the tensioner under the PS pump enough?
I didn't have to mess with the PS pump (but I will say that my original was shot, so I put a new one one). Tensioning the new belt was accomplished with no problems and no unusual tweaks.

That’s interesting @Old Nick , the 22588 was mentioned to be too large/long in the thread I attached above by @poptart, so I didn’t consider ordering one. Also never found another mention of it while Searching.

May have to give that one a go.
Sorry. I should have added that the kit I ordered came with this belt: Accessory Drive Belt Dayco 15V1340. My buddy, who is a proper mechanic, and not a doofus like me, said that it would work just fine. As I had already bypassed the smog pump, there was no need to change out to the Dayco belt. Installed the belt in the pic above before I purchased the kit for the full desmog. Hope that my rambling makes sense.

Sorry. I should have added that the kit I ordered came with this belt: Accessory Drive Belt Dayco 15V1340. My buddy, who is a proper mechanic, and not a doofus like me, said that it would work just fine. As I had already bypassed the smog pump, there was no need to change out to the Dayco belt. Installed the belt in the pic above before I purchased the kit for the full desmog. Hope that my rambling makes sense.

Thanks for clarifying. I noticed the kit pictures a Dayco belt but you showed a gates green stripe belt installed.

I’m ordering the Gates 22588 when I return from this weekend. 🍻

Does anyone have a picture of a fully desmoged engine bay from different angles?. I’m gonna tackle it this weekend and need reference points I guess.

thanks

I wish i would have seen this thread earlier. I did not have a good experience with Lerms customs. I ordered the kit last October and several items would trickle in over the following months but I'm still waiting for the egr block off nut on the exhaust manifold and the dayco belt....
I spoke to the owner after a week of ordering when i didn't receive an email confirming my order and he said he would get it shipped. After several failed attempts to get him after that I gave up and sourced the remaining parts myself.
You can look on my 62 thread in my signature and i have pictures of the install on the last page I believe.

I received my full kit from Lerms this week. The belt was shipped directly from Rock Auto, the rest of the kit all came together in one package. Time of order to delivery was 3 weeks. No complaints here!! Happy to get the kit in hand.

I received my full kit from Lerms this week. The belt was shipped directly from Rock Auto, the rest of the kit all came together in one package. Time of order to delivery was 3 weeks. No complaints here!! Happy to get the kit in hand.
Did he send you the belt 22853??

The belt I received is from GATES, green stripe. TR22525. no good??
The belt that came with my kit was the 22853. My buddy who is a proper mechanic helped me to bypass my smog pump well before I ordered the full-desmog kit. He said that both belts work. @FJ62 Jose, do a search for the Dayco belt number here on MUD, and you'll see that a ton of people have used it.

Edit: I checked through my notes in the messages above. The only number that I had for Dayco belt that came with the kit was: Dayco 15V1340 accessory belt. @FJ62 Jose , I'm sorry for the confusion. The 15V1340 was the one I sent to you (I can't remember if it was the 22853) If it doesn't work, let me know, ok?

Hope that this helps.

Last edited:
Did a little research tonight because I’m bored and figured I’d try to keep the confusion down a bit. I personally have not tried all of these. I am going off of my experience and others with the short belts ~53” and @Old Nick belt pictured on the previous page ~59”. The first 2 bypass the alt and the second 2 do not. The Dayco 22590 is the only belt listed that I’ve never seen used but it will be the next belt I buy. FWIW.

Gates tr22525
53.06 outside circumference
.625 top width

Dayco 22528
53.39 outside circumference
.69 top width

Gates tr22588
59.375 outside circumference
.625 top width

Dayco 22590
59.64 outside circumference
.69 top width

Question for anyone who has installed the lermscustoms.com De-Smog kit. The site clearly states that there are NO other parts required.... with the exception of replacing the cat's with straight pipes. I opened up the kit myself and confirmed that all the parts listed on the site were all included. However, my mechanic is telling me that the kit is not complete as it does not include the threaded plugs that close off the air injector rail inputs. A quick eBay search, no problem, a set of 6 are available for $35.00. See link below. Interestingly, this listing shows these plugs to be compatible with the FJ60, and NOT compatible with the FJ62.

More interesting, after some research, its clear that the FJ60 air injection rail has 6 inputs, while the FJ62 only has 4. What the what? My mechanic knows his S*#%. What am I missing??? The only idea I have come up with is that the Lerms kit is not intended for the air injection rail to be removed, but I'm scratching my head???

035_2F_a-big11 - Copy.jpg

Just wow the difference in performance. I thought it was just a mental thing but my son noticed the difference without me even telling him what I did. I bought the kit from TLC Performance. While doing so I finally found this never ending exhaust leak. The air rail was cracked in two places. Didn't need to remove the intake. I had a ratchet set for the 4 plugs. It did help to bend that air rail bracket completely up and out the way. Straight forward from there. I did use my air ratchet for that manifold bolt/nut. Heat and penetrating oil helped. I kept the intake plug in the freezer over night before using a brass hammer to slap that on. Bought the Gates belt tr22525 for $30 and 2 boxes of dorman vacuum plugs # 47389 at O'Reillys. One week later still no codes. Good luck

20210410_162914.jpg

20210410_163426.jpg

20210410_163622.jpg

20210410_163856.jpg

Last edited:
Question for anyone who has installed the lermscustoms.com De-Smog kit. The site clearly states that there are NO other parts required.... with the exception of replacing the cat's with straight pipes. I opened up the kit myself and confirmed that all the parts listed on the site were all included. However, my mechanic is telling me that the kit is not complete as it does not include the threaded plugs that close off the air injector rail inputs. A quick eBay search, no problem, a set of 6 are available for $35.00. See link below. Interestingly, this listing shows these plugs to be compatible with the FJ60, and NOT compatible with the FJ62.

More interesting, after some research, its clear that the FJ60 air injection rail has 6 inputs, while the FJ62 only has 4. What the what? My mechanic knows his S*#%. What am I missing??? The only idea I have come up with is that the Lerms kit is not intended for the air injection rail to be removed, but I'm scratching my head???

Jay-suess, $50 for 6 pipe plugs?

The simple kit from TLC Performance is ~$30, includes the 4 allen plugs, and other elegant solutions to EGR and AIR removal.

3FE desmog kit - https://tlcperformance.com/products/3fe-desmog-kit

Hey guys will this help with a bad MAF? Those are getting hard to come by also and expensive! Trying to help my buddy get his 3fe running right. Thanks!

Hey guys will this help with a bad MAF? Those are getting hard to come by also and expensive! Trying to help my buddy get his 3fe running right. Thanks!
With this mod, all of the air the system is breathing in is now clean cool air from the airbox , which then passed through the MAFS. I speculate this equates to more air interacting with the MAFS, but I'm not sure this is accurate.

What makes you think the MAF is bad? I thought the same thing with the problems I was having, which turned not to be the case.

Another shop in town diagnosed it and said the MAF was bad. Truck was rough running on start up, really hot tranny shifter on warm day, floorboard hot, intermittent rough running. We replaced the MAF with a used one and CEL went off and problem went away for a few weeks. Now it’s back except no CEL yet. Seems to only happen on warm days.

Another shop in town diagnosed it and said the MAF was bad. Truck was rough running on start up, really hot tranny shifter on warm day, floorboard hot, intermittent rough running. We replaced the MAF with a used one and CEL went off and problem went away for a few weeks. Now it’s back except no CEL yet. Seems to only happen on warm days.
Got it. Hard to say if this MOD will be solution. I can say, without a doubt, this MOD will greatly improve the output and general operation of the engine in general. It's an inexpensive and mechanically simple MOD with the kit I used. IMO it'll be a worthwhile MOD regardless, and if it helps with some of the symptoms you are experiencing all the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom