Fj62 Desmog Kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi, @FJ62 Jose. First, my smog pump gave up the ghost. This led me to the initial partial desmog (did a bypass of the smog pump). As far as I know, these pumps are long gone, and putting another 30 something year old pump on my '62, just didn't make sense. We don't have inspections here in KY either (and my truck is considered an "antique" vehicle). The partial desmog did make my engine run much better, and yes, the ecu did compensate for it (if you search other threads here, you'll find that this is normal). I drove it like that for about two years. When I decided to give my engine an overhaul, it seemed like a good time to do the full desmog. The refreshed engine + full desmog produced a great running '62. I mean better than ever... at least for me. I've owned the truck going on 7 years.

After all the reent work that I put into my truck the ecu acted as it did when I first bypassed the smog pump (I'm guessing another reset... I didn't check for any codes, but observed higher rmps at idle, etc. This all self-corrected after a short drive).

Where mileage is concerned, I get a combined 12mpg. I'll be interested to see what my highway mileage is when I take a road trip in the next month of two.

As I noted above, as long as you aren't planning on selling your truck, I don't see a downside to desmogging it. It will run better, and you'll free up tons of room in your engine bay. When I save up money, I'm going for a second battery, new bumpers, fog lights and a winch!

Hope that this helps.
How long did it take you to remove it all?

As far as room in the engine bay? Yes, it opens up so much room by not having all those vacuum hoses everywhere.

Ok, Im going to buy the kit..

Keep the comments or posts going.. I'm learning a whole lot guys, thank you!

Been thinking about this for some time now. Do you have to adjust timing after doing this? Any other vendor selling? Hearing those issues completely turned me off from that link about.
For a desmog, changing the timing isn't necessary. Though a while back I switched to religiously using ethanol free fuel, which in my area is fairly readily available in 91 octane flavor, and that led me to advance my timing with great results.

For a desmog though, no worry with timing. Like was already said your ECU will have to adapt, but that doesn't take long.

Also I still haven't gotten a call from the EPA 😂

Last edited:
How long did it take you to remove it all?

As far as room in the engine bay? Yes, it opens up so much room by not having all those vacuum hoses everywhere.

Ok, Im going to buy the kit..

Keep the comments or posts going.. I'm learning a whole lot guys, thank you!

You can source the parts yourself for a lot cheaper than $120.

You can buy the air rail plugs from FJ40Jim, I posted that link earlier in this thread. Vacuum caps from local auto parts store. The brass plug for the exhaust is a Dorman part, that part number has been posted in 3FE desmog posts in the past. This may be a $5 +/- part. No need for a fabricated cap for the EGR port in the intake manifold, that can be filled with a correct size freeze plug, again a Dorman part that has been posted before. Only a few bucks.

If you run the smog pump with disconnected hoses then no need for a new belt.

Source all the parts for $30 or less maybe.

You can buy the air rail plugs from FJ40Jim, I posted that link earlier in this thread. Vacuum caps from local auto parts store. The brass plug for the exhaust is a Dorman part, that part number has been posted in 3FE desmog posts in the past. This may be a $5 +/- part. No need for a fabricated cap for the EGR port in the intake manifold, that can be filled with a correct size freeze plug, again a Dorman part that has been posted before. Only a few bucks.

If you run the smog pump with disconnected hoses then no need for a new belt.

Source all the parts for $30 or less maybe.
Where and how do I reach out to Jim C?? Since I do not know his name or avatar its become a job trying to locate his threads..

Thanks.. I want to buy the stuff to do the desmog this weekend..

Where and how do I reach out to Jim C?? Since I do not know his name or avatar its become a job trying to locate his threads..

I've got an egr gasket and a Dayco belt for the desmog (both brand new parts). If you want them, $2.00 for the gasket and $13 for the belt, + shipping. Shoot me a pm with your zip and I'll get you the shipping rate if you're interested.

It's finally available on the TLC Performance site at this link. <-----that's a linky-poo. Click it. You know you want to.

Dorman 090-099 plug m26x1.5 is the plug for the exhaust manifold. need 1
Toyota 90340-14001 plug for the air rail. need 4
Dayco 22528 is the belt. need 1
Dorman Help 02254 cap is for the intake. need 1
Dorman 555-118 expansion plug instead of an egr block off plate. need 1 check the specs
High temp thread sealant
1/8 inch or 3.5mm vacuum plugs. need 7
Delete your cats anyway you want.

Bypasses the alt. I was researching the longer one but I couldn’t find anyone that has documented a successful part number. I get the want for 2 belts on the alternator, but I couldn’t find anyone that has reported problems with the shorter 22528 belt.

I started this thread last year in a quest for the longer belt that allows for two belts on the alternator, it’s a 22570.
Is two belts necessary?...probably not, but I like the redundancy if the right belt accommodates that.

I ordered the longer belt but not tried to install yet so can’t give my direct experience, but it’s been reported if may be a little short. The goal is to get a belt that allows the PS pump res. to sit level when tensioned.

I started this thread last year in a quest for the longer belt that allows for two belts on the alternator, it’s a 22570.
Is two belts necessary?...probably not, but I like the redundancy if the right belt accommodates that.

I ordered the longer belt but not tried to install yet so can’t give my direct experience, but it’s been reported if may be a little short. The goal is to get a belt that allows the PS pump res. to sit level when tensioned.
I’m running two belts. You can see the make and pn in the pic. Hope that this helps.
FE081C35-2A8A-498B-9F08-2EBA64BB0B27.jpeg

I’m running two belts. You can see the make and pn in the pic. Hope that this helps.View attachment 2605133

That’s interesting @Old Nick , the 22588 was mentioned to be too large/long in the thread I attached above by @poptart, so I didn’t consider ordering one. Also never found another mention of it while Searching.

May have to give that one a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom