FJ62 Center Cap Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any tips on how to 1. Take off the center caps and 2. Best way to re-install? I am having troubles prying off the rear caps and seems like I just need a rubber mallet and whack at the front caps. Probably a thread on this but couldn’t find it, many thanks!

This is from the owners manual for my 1985. I suppose it's similar. Toyota provided the tools but they may be long gone for you. There is a pry bar for removing the center cap and an installation tool for putting it back on. The pry bar 09183-00030 is still available from Toyota but the installation tool is discontinued.

1624974731008.png

1624974686688.png

If your center caps rattle and wobble when installed, you may want to bend/tune each tab until they firmly grip the wheels. You really need to reinstall them on the rims before you bolt on the wheels, in my experience.

I will also add that these center caps are one of the most poorly engineered aspects of the truck. Who designs a center cap that is half disengaged by bolting the wheel tight, and is so large in diameter that every lug wrench grinds off the paint on the cap? I'm pretty sure they were engineered by the same group that made dim dome lights and shaky, small FJ60 outside rear view mirrors. The land of misfit Toyota engineers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom