fj62 "carb" cooling fan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone delete this on their FJ62? Mine has only come on a few times during my ownership and I'm just wondering if it's worthwhile keeping, as removing would free up some room under the hood.

I'm in the process of replacing fenders, so it'd be one less thing to put back. :D

I have mine grounded. So it comes on whenever I shut off the truck. I unground it in the winter. In the summer with the fan, my hot starts are better.

You are in AK, probably does not get hot enough to need it.... ;)But keep it around for other eventualities?

On the 62 the fan rarely turns on when the engine shuts down. On the 60 it turns on every time the engine shuts off.

If you want to get rid of it, I'll buy it from you (my 31 year old 60 fan is starting to chatter... bearing is wearing out).

On the 62 the fan rarely turns on when the engine shuts down. On the 60 it turns on every time the engine shuts off.

If you want to get rid of it, I'll buy it from you (my 31 year old 60 fan is starting to chatter... bearing is wearing out).

I decided to bolt it back up. Some day the plan is to take the beast southward to warmer locales for a bit, so it may be useful.

There is a temp sensor, or a temp resistor that only turns on the fan when it is hot enough in the engine compartment. The sensor is located under the intake manifold.
I grounded mine so it comes on every time I shut the engine off, because I live in hot climate.

Thought I'd add a pix. On my 60 it's attached to the pcv hardline. I recently cut mine off to attach it to the two holes on the intake manifold where was meant to hook to by the factory but was changed at some point after. I've deleted the pcv hardline at this time.

image.jpg

Recently viewed this entertaining video made by Jonathan Ward of TLC regrding the restoration of a 40, and he says the fan comes on in that application for cooling the dissimilar metals of intake and exhaust manifolds. So, perhaps something else to consider?

Recently viewed this entertaining video made by Jonathan Ward of TLC regrding the restoration of a 40, and he says the fan comes on in that application for cooling the dissimilar metals of intake and exhaust manifolds. So, perhaps something else to consider?

Definitely interesting to ponder but regardless, it’s meant to prevent vapor lock so the fact the intake and exhaust are different metals, would that even really matter?

Definitely interesting to ponder but regardless, it’s meant to prevent vapor lock so the fact the intake and exhaust are different metals, would that even really matter?

At about 6:30 in the video Ward says the fan's purpose is actually to control the cool down cycle of the manifolds. He says not to delete it because of this, but makes not mention of vapor lock.

Huh well then I’m wrong. My mistake. That’s what many w/ far more experience than me have often stated.

I accidentally unplugged mine. I noticed the hot restarts getting harder and harder. I'll be picking up a spare.

Mine is just grounded and turns off after 30 mins. I've been running it two years now like that and its never caused an issue.

As a follow up to this thread, I watched a couple more of Ward's videos on FJ62's. He likes to point out that they have way fewer maintenance issues than FJ60s because of 3FE vs. 2F. He discusses a few problems with 2F, but the one relevant to this thread is: Intake and Exhaust manifold location, combined with dissimilar metals they're manufactured from, contribute to leaks and cracked manifolds-functioning fan not withstanding, apparently.
Because 3F manifolds are located away from one another, not a problem for this engine. FWIW.

Let's (however) assume that Toyota didn't install it because of a desire to needlessly add weight, complexity, and noise to the FJ62. Mine came one once while four-wheeling - I have never seen it come on otherwise - but I'm assuming it has a legitimate function.

Mine will fire up after a good drive here in N.M. in the summer. It’s not always predictable, but I figure the old gal knows when it needs to use it. Its just neat to know it still works as it should!

I was skeptical too because I had not had the truck for too long. Of course out of the blue last summer it came on a few times and it was during exceedingly hot, humid days.

Thanks guys. Your experiences are similar to mine. The fan has only come on a couple times for me, during extended driving sessions uphill on Alcan during summer, and usually runs on for awhile after truck is shut down.

So, I emailed TLC and Jonathan Ward himself replied-pretty cool.

His answer:

That is a darn good question, I really do not know. My only fairly educated guess would be that it is to assist in extreme hot weather starting?
cleardot.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom