FJ62 “Carb” Cooling Fan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Old Nick

GOLD Star
Threads
I almost deleted my fan in my ‘62 when I had the fenders off for painting. It had only turned on once that I can recall in the 7 years that I’ve owned it (and that was on a VERY hot day and after lots of driving).

Over the weekend, my father-in-law and I were wheeling in our fields for an hour or so. Pulled back into our driveway, shut her down, and wouldn’t you know it… my fan turned on.

Glad that I didn’t delete it!

I'd be very interested to read the Toyota design assessment or testing that was done for keeping it in the 62.

I'd be very interested to read the Toyota design assessment or testing that was done for keeping it in the 62.
I would be interested to know as well. There was also one on my 91 FJ80. It came on every now and then as well.

As would I. It was interesting. My engine temp gauge was in its normal operating range (I didn’t use any proper tools to check the temp). To the touch, however, my hood and fenders were darn hot. I’m sure they normally are. I only touched them because my fan kicked on.

I would like to reverse it somehow and make it blow hot air out through the vent. I can't imagine the thing does any great service to the FI engine.
That’s a very interesting idea and probably possible.

That’s a very interesting idea and probably possible.
I would like to reverse it somehow and make it blow hot air out through the vent. I can't imagine the thing does any great service to the FI engine.

I was thinking about that too. Would be worth building a fan assembly that helps pull air out from under the hood to do two thing. Obviously help remove some heat but also help lower the pressure under the hood which in turn boosts airflow through the radiator and improve cooling. Hood vents are really good for this but most people dont want to cut holes in their hoods ;)

I'm glad others are wondering the same thing. We had our Dome Light ("Doom Light" per the FSM :) )fuse blow on a regular basis, so I disconnected the carb cooling fan. That solved the fuse problem. So far it hasn't seemed to matter even in Texas heat. Actually I never confirmed that it was working in the first place.

Since the FJ62 was a bridge vehicle to buy time before the 80 series became available, my suspicion is Toyota left the unnecessary manifold fan and fender side vents in place to reduce costs. Since it doesn't hurt (or help) anything in the 62, it was probably just easier and a lot cheaper to keep the 60 fenders with the cutouts - along with the fan.

Since the FJ62 was a bridge vehicle to buy time before the 80 series became available, my suspicion is Toyota left the unnecessary manifold fan and fender side vents in place to reduce costs. Since it doesn't hurt (or help) anything in the 62, it was probably just easier and a lot cheaper to keep the 60 fenders with the cutouts - along with the fan.
I tend to agree except that the 91-92 with the 3FE also had said fan as well albeit a different configuration. I’ve always wondered if it had to do with the fact that the intake and exhaust were on the same side of the engine. Or perhaps to your point they likely had an overseas carb version (3F) of the 3FE and just left it on there for both versions. 🤷‍♂️

I tend to agree except that the 91-92 with the 3FE also had said fan as well albeit a different configuration. I’ve always wondered if it had to do with the fact that the intake and exhaust were on the same side of the engine. Or perhaps to your point they likely had an overseas carb version (3F) of the 3FE and just left it on there for both versions. 🤷‍♂️
I bet it does have to do with the fuel rail being on the same side of the engine as the exhaust manifold. Lots of heat on one side of the engine. I am sure it has a good reason for being there, Toyota didn't just leave stuff on, or else why didn't we get other cool stuff that other markets got?! :frown: It's listed as a engine compartment cooling fan in the FSM. Mine still comes on after lots of driving, especially steep inclines and then shutting off the engine. That being said, I am not sure I have heard of people having issues once they deleted it.

The fan is there to keep the gas inside the carburetor from vaporizing after turning off the engine (hot) creating a hard start condition. The FJ62 with the 3FE was mostly sold in the USA. Outside of the USA, the Fj62 variant (there are many) had a carburetor which is why the fan was needed. Keeping the fan was easier for Toyota. While the fan does help remove engine heat after the fact, it is not really needed with the 3FE. The 3FE has a throttle up circuit that increases fuel pressure to control vaporized fuel when re-starting a hot engine.

The 80 series with the 3FE has a much smaller cooling fan by the front headlight for the same purpose for trucks fitted with a carburetor.

The fan is there to keep the gas inside the carburetor from vaporizing after turning off the engine (hot) creating a hard start condition. The FJ62 with the 3FE was mostly sold in the USA. Outside of the USA, the Fj62 variant (there are many) had a carburetor which is why the fan was needed. Keeping the fan was easier for Toyota. While the fan does help remove engine heat after the fact, it is not really needed with the 3FE. The 3FE has a throttle up circuit that increases fuel pressure to control vaporized fuel when re-starting a hot engine.

The 80 series with the 3FE has a much smaller cooling fan by the front headlight for the same purpose for trucks fitted with a carburetor.

Talk about low hanging fruit for a cost out play. Eliminate the cooling fan for the 3FE USA market, save $100 per truck, eliminate an assembly step, reduce carried inventory. Of course there would be one less thing to discuss on the forum 30 years later

Talk about low hanging fruit for a cost out play. Eliminate the cooling fan for the 3FE USA market, save $100 per truck, eliminate an assembly step, reduce carried inventory. Of course there would be one less thing to discuss on the forum 30 years later
You know how we love to discuss those little details :D.

You know how we love to discuss those little details :D.
Glad I'm not the only one.

To add something quasi-useful here, I deleted my fan over 20 years ago and haven't had an issue since. I have considered (admittedly more for style than function) installing louvers on my hood, which I'm sure would also aid in allowing the compartment to shed heat. Likely negligible though I expect.

I would like to have real data info on if hood louvers do any appreciable good with potential vapor lock. If they actually work I would go that route.

’86 stock 2f that otherwise run great under all conditions…however…twice over the last 3 years it has vapor locked & actually stalled out. 5 minute cool down & all was good. Each time it was a very long very steep pull in 4 low.

I would like to have real data
Do what they do in Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Dubai etc - lift up the hood after shutting down if the engine is really hot or it's a really hot day. I used to do that all the time in Mexico (but I never experienced vapor lock ever).

Thank @OSS my 2 separate issues were not after shut down…but instead ‘during’ long hard, hi rev pulls up steep 12-13k dangerous grades where you would not voluntarily stop.

I don't think even removing the hood would help in that situation. The radiator fan blows such an incredible amount of air when the fan clutch locks up at hi revs, that air circulation inside the engine compartment blowing out the bottom has got to over rule any holes that might be cut in the hood.
That's just my guess though based on intuition

I don't think even removing the hood would help in that situation. The radiator fan blows such an incredible amount of air when the fan clutch locks up at hi revs, that air circulation inside the engine compartment blowing out the bottom has got to over rule any holes that might be cut in the hood.
That's just my guess though based on intuition
Removing the hood might actually make the cooling worse. You want to lower the pressure in the engine bay as much as possible to get the most airflow through the radiator. So having vents or fans to help pull air out of the encloses engine bay helps to lower the air pressure a little and allow more air in. With the hood completely off you loose that controlled space. I have seen hood vents cut in rally cars to help improve cooling but never did any official scientific data collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom