FJ62 “Carb” Cooling Fan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would like to have real data info on if hood louvers do any appreciable good with potential vapor lock. If they actually work I would go that route.

’86 stock 2f that otherwise run great under all conditions…however…twice over the last 3 years it has vapor locked & actually stalled out. 5 minute cool down & all was good. Each time it was a very long very steep pull in 4 low.

Aside from the mess it would make....a water mist system would provide the most direct cooling through evaporation. could be switched on by a thermoswitch...either to spray the carb/fuel line or mist the front of the radiator.

I don't think even removing the hood would help in that situation. The radiator fan blows such an incredible amount of air when the fan clutch locks up at hi revs, that air circulation inside the engine compartment blowing out the bottom has got to over rule any holes that might be cut in the hood.
That's just my guess though based on intuition
My thoughts are the same. There's a LOT of air movement through there at highway speeds, and really at any speed with the fan (fans in my case) going.

I have to confess I just like the appearance of hood louvers on the 60 series. It would be one of those "well I'm bored this weekend" things :lol:

Talk about low hanging fruit for a cost out play. Eliminate the cooling fan for the 3FE USA market, save $100 per truck, eliminate an assembly step, reduce carried inventory. Of course there would be one less thing to discuss on the forum 30 years later
Man, I’m sorry, I know that this is old news, but I just can’t help it :hillbilly:. It’s still fun to chat about. Dorking out on fans and whether or not they are useful gets me through the day… that, and gin martinis at night.

Man, I’m sorry, I know that this is old news, but I just can’t help it :hillbilly:. It’s still fun to chat about. Dorking out on fans and whether or not they are useful gets me through the day… that, and gin martinis at night.
Oh you are definitely in the right place ;) :cheers:

Oh you are definitely in the right place ;) :cheers:
Didn’t have any Plymouth “Navy Strength” in the cabinet tonight, so it was bog standard Bombay. Got the job done, but not as efficiently… not in a 3FE cooling fan sort of way :cheers:.

speaking of which, it kicked on again today after a good bit of stop/start and highway driving in bourbon country heat/humidity.

I’ve added a good deal of weight to my truck (new front and rear bumpers and roof rack). The ambient temp, plus the additional weight must be working my engine a little harder.

Reading through all of the posts above, I really do want to do a little digging on this fan.

cheers, and a peaceful night to all.

Me too. No worries.

Automakers trim every unnecessary part and component they can. They wouldn't just leave the entire fan and controller in there just because the fender has a cut-out for it. At some point, their engineering decided it was necessary to leave it there.

EFI vehicles with the intake/exhaust on the same side can and do have issues with fuel boiling in the rails.
- The early EFI Ford 4.9L/300 inline-6 engine implemented a cooling fan that would blow air onto the fuel rail after shutdown. Later revisions of the engine switched to much higher fuel pressure (~65 PSI compared to the 39 PSI of every other Ford of the time) and unique injectors to eliminate the need for the Fan.
- The Jeep 4.0 implemented high fuel pressure and copious amounts of heat shielding around the injectors.
- Some of the early EFI Nissan inline-6 engines also had a fuel rail cooling fan.

Maybe today, that would be the answer.
In the 80's that's debatable, having been to many MFG sites in Japan. Creating a new SKU was a painful process. Single parts into a sub-assembly, then into a main assembly.... each part having it's own drawing right down to a single screw. In the 80's, the Land Cruiser Market focus was not on the USA. The EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Asia) market was Toyota's cash cow. The USA Land Cruiser market was mostly exposure to Toyota. Meaning the EMEA market would cover the limited Land Cruiser sales in the USA. Leaving the fan in place was a logical decision (at that time) for Toyota.

To the louver discussions. For my FJ62 I installed this set of universal (heep) louvers from Hyline Offroad. While I never overheated, my mind was was very troubled about the amount of under hood heat when slow wheeling or crawling...... so of course I had to get louvers....

Hood Vents.JPG

In the 80's that's debatable, having been to many MFG sites in Japan. Creating a new SKU was a painful process. Single parts into a sub-assembly, then into a main assembly.... each part having it's own drawing right down to a single screw. In the 80's, the Land Cruiser Market focus was not on the USA. The EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Asia) market was Toyota's cash cow. The USA Land Cruiser market was mostly exposure to Toyota. Meaning the EMEA market would cover the limited Land Cruiser sales in the USA. Leaving the fan in place was a logical decision (at that time) for Toyota.

To the louver discussions. For my FJ62 I installed this set of universal (heep) louvers from Hyline Offroad. While I never overheated, my mind was was very troubled about the amount of under hood heat when slow wheeling or crawling...... so of course I had to get louvers....

View attachment 2763321
Got a pic of them on your rig? They look pretty slick honestly.

Last edited:

Think of all the differences between the various models of FJ62. EFI vs. Carb, Semi-Float vs Full-Float, Factory Lockers vs. No Lockers. They were clearly willing to make multiple SKUs of many different things to save money and cut costs.

The biggest thing against your point is the fact that a square-headlight fender part without the blower already exists. The HJ61 does not have the cooling fan, but uses a 62 series fender.

Think of all the differences between the various models of FJ62. EFI vs. Carb, Semi-Float vs Full-Float, Factory Lockers vs. No Lockers. They were clearly willing to make multiple SKUs of many different things to save money and cut costs.

The biggest thing against your point is the fact that a square-headlight fender part without the blower already exists. The HJ61 does not have the cooling fan, but uses a 62 series fender.

you refer to this modle in your TECH discussion points above ?

you bring up some great stuff i did not know about

thanks
matt

Toyota-Land-Cruiser-J60-1-1600x1062.jpg
Toyota-Land-Cruiser-J60-3-740x491.jpg

Automakers trim every unnecessary part and component they can. They wouldn't just leave the entire fan and controller in there just because the fender has a cut-out for it. At some point, their engineering decided it was necessary to leave it there.

EFI vehicles with the intake/exhaust on the same side can and do have issues with fuel boiling in the rails.
- The early EFI Ford 4.9L/300 inline-6 engine implemented a cooling fan that would blow air onto the fuel rail after shutdown. Later revisions of the engine switched to much higher fuel pressure (~65 PSI compared to the 39 PSI of every other Ford of the time) and unique injectors to eliminate the need for the Fan.
- The Jeep 4.0 implemented high fuel pressure and copious amounts of heat shielding around the injectors.
- Some of the early EFI Nissan inline-6 engines also had a fuel rail cooling fan.
My job I spend all my timing looking for ways to cut cost from the products we sell...material changes, design changes, sourcing changes, less bends, fewer welds, forging vs casting vs 3D printing etc etc. but todays market is a lot different than it was back in the 80's. I suspect that the mindset back then was there was enough profit in the company to not care too heavily about the cost margins because there were already quite good.

View attachment 2763321
if you could add some ducting to the back of the radiator to help guide the air up to the ducts in the hood that could help quite a bit. Unfortunately there isn't much space in there to setup any decent "flow". going way back when...Saab (my other brand) offered hood vents as an option for additonal cooling. you can see them in this photo..in the back sides of the hood towards the windshield.

1629375596531.png

Love the 3F exhaust manifold

ME3 ..... :D

i want a 3F now more then you can possibly imagine ..........

so im starting small , and well going BIG too at the same time :

these will be on the table in single digit days .............

a DECAL DOG i think i might becoming true ?

i have my live proofs and there SMOKING HOT ! :smokin:

Hell , im gonna start by TAGGING every STOP sign in Annapolis if i can ...🤣

B5CE8C08-EFAF-43B0-BC1C-325212F15D4A.jpeg

DEE95D53-D5A3-4FF0-BEA8-F2FBA7A6D338.jpeg

Ok. Agree to disagree.
HJ61: another variant, for a larger non-USA market. The HJ61 fender does not have the side vents as well.
Diesel vs Petrol?

i have no idea ?

i thought you were the TECH expert here ?

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom