Fj62 California smog question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

just bought an 88 Fj62. 252k on the odometer,
Easy on the rust.
Out here in San Diego you’ll probably see Donald Trump hanging out with Obama before you see one for as cheap as I bought mine. Anyway..dude I bought it from says it needs smog parts from the exhaust manifold back. I’m assuming that means: Exhaust pipe, Catalytic Converter, and muffler
anyone know what else I need to get to have this thing Smog ready here in the golden state?

Here's an overview drawing of the exhaust parts

image.png

Hey everyone thanks for the reply and the diagram!
after looking at it myself, the guy was very confused. It has both cats and the muffler as well as everything else it needs. After smoking it I realized there’s an air leak at the EGR gasket.
so gonna tackle that and then all this RUST.
many suggestions for rust removal on these bad boys is also appreciated.

If you have rust on your frame, painting with POR-15 paint. doesn't look pretty but gets the job done!!

POR-15 does require prep and you need to remove as much rust as possible before applying it otherwise the old rust will still pop off and the POR will go with it.

POR-15 is an extremely toxic isocyanate based rust proofing coating. No half mask or full face mask passive respirator made on earth can protect you from isocyanate fumes.
Also -- they're odorless.
The only "safe" way to be near that poison is to wear a full hazmat suit with a remote positive pressure air source- something nobody does.

My advice for dealing with frame rust: Organic linseed oil (if you care about your health)

May have literally snapped his foot off in someone’s ass.
POR-15 is an extremely toxic isocyanate based rust proofing coating. No half mask or full face mask passive respirator made on earth can protect you from isocyanate fumes.
Also -- they're odorless.
The only "safe" way to be near that poison is to wear a full hazmat suit with a remote positive pressure air source- something nobody does.

My advice for dealing with frame rust: Organic linseed oil (if you care about your health)

Thank you for the heads up, I was planning on using it later on but I would like to see my future grandkids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom