Fj62 brake swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering if anyone knows if you can do a knuckle out disc brake swap from an FJ62 to an FJ40? I’ve got a buddy who has all the parts from an FJ62. I know people have used FJ60 parts, but I can’t find any info on the 62.
thanks!

Do it, you'll be fine.

only difference in the 62 stuff is it has vented backing plates otherwise it is the same.

what year 40 will it be going into?

I’m almost done with mine on a 74 FJ40 using donor 62 front axle. I did have to swap an axle shaft on mine to get fine spline hubs Though.

Thanks for the reply’s. I have a 73 FJ40 I’m building for my daughter. Thus the upgraded brakes. If it were mine I’d probably deal with the drums a while longer, but I’d like her to have some stopping power.

on my 74 properly maintained or refreshed drums would lock up all 4 of my 35” tires on dry pavement. But over time... one wheel cyl would seize, then another then it was stored, fast forward 18 yrs eventually I was down to a single wheel so it got parked. now I’m doing the 62 swap. from what I’ve heard it’s a highly valued change And discs are easy to maintain. Good luck!

The drums suck.
Get an FJ80 master cylinder and tandem booster from CityRacer, use bigger 4Runner calipers and get rear disc on that truck.
I did the above to mine after installing very heavy 38” Michelin military tires and it will lock em up now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom